Former Portuguese PM Antonio Guterres officially nominated to be next UN chief
The 15-member council unanimously adopted a resolution formally presenting Guterres as their choice during a closed-door session.
The UN General Assembly’s 193 member-states are now expected to approve Guterres as Ban’s successor at a vote expected to take place next week.
Guterres, 67, would replace Ban Ki-moon, 72, of South Korea, who will step down at the end of 2016 after serving two terms. Guterres was prime minister of Portugal from 1995 to 2002.
- PM Imran stresses reforms in Pakistan’s criminal justice system07:56 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- FM Qureshi represents Pakistan in 17th virtual ACD Ministerial ...07:46 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Chief Justice of Pakistan Gulzar Ahmad tests positive for COVID-19: ...07:34 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Meet Waseem Lata – the Pakistani man who sings in legendary Indian ...07:00 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Wedding festivities kick in for Bakhtawar-Mahmood as groom lands in ...04:36 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Netflix crosses 200 million subscribers06:39 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Simpsons in the news again for predicting Kamala Harris’ inaugural ...06:20 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021