12-year-old dies in pellet firing in occupied Kashmir, death toll reaches 110
The death has sparked widespread anger in the city and a curfew has been imposed to quell more protests.
According to Kashmir Media Service, Junaid Ahmad, sustained head injuries when Indian forces fired pellets on peaceful protesters in Saidpora area of Srinagar, yesterday. However, Junaid was not part of the protests, police sources said.
He was shifted to Soura Institute of Medical Sciences in Srinagar where he succumbed to his injuries early today morning.
"He was standing at the main gate of his home in the Saidpora area in downtown area of city when he was hit by a volley of pellets," said an official who did not want to be named.
Thousands of people took to the streets in protest against his death after his body was brought to his home, shouting slogans against the Indian occupation.
They marched towards the Martyrs’ Graveyard at Eidgah in Srinagar to offer his funeral prayers. They shouted high-pitched pro-freedom and anti-India slogans.
Indian police fired teargas shells on the funeral procession near Aali Masjid, injuring many people. The police action triggered massive clashes between the protesters and the police personnel.
Earlier on Thrusday, two young people were killed and several injured in an encounter with Indian forces at Langate in Handwara area of Kupwara district.
Meanwhile, Indian police during crackdown operations arrested around a hundred youth from different areas of the Kashmir Valley. 18 of those arrested belonged to Hajin area of Bandipora district and were taken into custody from Srinagar city during a nocturnal raid.
A massive march was also conducted on Friday in occupied Kashmir towards the UN office at Sonawar in Srinagar, to submit a memorandum regarding India’s recent attempts of creating war hysteria on the Line of Control to deflect world attention from the deteriorating human rights situation in the territory.
- Pakistan frees dozens of jailed TTP militants amid ‘peace ...12:11 PM | 9 Dec, 2021
- PAKvWI: West Indies squad lands in Pakistan for limited-overs series11:34 AM | 9 Dec, 2021
- Pakistan Navy marks golden jubilee of Hangor Day with special ...11:17 AM | 9 Dec, 2021
- SnackVideo and PUBG Hashtag Challenge was a Brilliant Success10:42 AM | 9 Dec, 2021
- LHC acquits blasphemy convict after 11 years in jail10:26 AM | 9 Dec, 2021
- Pakistani stars condemn Faisalabad incident08:42 PM | 8 Dec, 2021
- Pakistani filmmaker Samar Khan's 'Out Swing' wins at Sport Film ...05:30 PM | 8 Dec, 2021
- Kareena Kapoor and Aryan Khan among most searched celebrities in India03:00 PM | 8 Dec, 2021