Poet Ahmed Faraz’s family to get new medals as police fail to recover stolen ones
The Senate Standing Committee on Interior and Narcotics, which met under the chairmanship of Senator Rehman Malik, discussed the robbery incident of 2015 during which the robbers took away Nishan-i-Imtiaz and Tamgha-i-Imtiaz which were conferred on the late poet.
The discussion of the robbery at the house of the late poet’s son started when during a briefing SSP (operations) Sajid Kayani flaunted the performance of police that within 24 hours the police arrested culprits involved in snatching the purse of a Canadian senator in Sector F-6 recently.
At this, committee member Syed Shibli Faraz said the committee was not impressed by the performance of the police which failed to recover the medals bestowed upon his father.
“I have been trying for the last two years for the recovery of the two medals conferred on my late father Ahmed Faraz but to no avail,” he said.
Senate body stated that the culprit who looted Nishan-i-Imtiaz and Tamgha-i-Imtiaz from house of poet’s son at sector G-6 had fled to Afghanistan. The SSP confirmed that the police had arrested some criminals involved in the robbery case who were now in jail but the main culprit fled to Afghanistan.
He then requested the committee to recommend to the government for the issuance of new medals to the family of the poet.
The committee chairman Rehman Malik said he had already taken up the matter with the federal government and soon the family would get new medals.
“The medals are ready and in a next few days will be handed over to our colleague (Senator Shibli Faraz),” Mr Malik said, adding the police should also contact the Afghan authorities to get custody of the accused.
Later, speaking to Dawn, Senator Shibli Faraz said it would be okay if new medals were issued.
“Let’s see whether new medals are given to us or not because I have been hearing this for over a year,” he added.
- Budget 2021-22: Punjab proposes Rs370 billion for health services10:51 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Saudi Arabia allows women to register for Hajj without guardian10:05 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Govt likely to increase petroleum prices from June 1609:38 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- China rubbishes G7 criticism, says 'small' group can't decide world's ...09:01 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- PSL 2021 – Islamabad United opt to field first against Karachi Kings08:39 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Producer of Christchurch mosque attack movie resigns after backlash05:02 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Meesha Shafi becomes certified yoga instructor04:20 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Ushna Shah and Juveria Abbasi enjoy beach day out03:05 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021