Commonwealth Games 2018: Pakistan, Malaysia hockey match ends in 1-1 draw

05:15 PM | 11 Apr, 2018
Commonwealth Games 2018: Pakistan, Malaysia hockey match ends in 1-1 draw
GOLD COAST, Australia - Pakistan played another drawn game but this time against Malaysia in the XXI Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games pool match played here at Hockey Club ground on Wednesday.

With this draw, Pakistan and Malaysia were out of semi-final contention at the hockey event at Gold Coast. But there was something at stake when they came across in their last pool game.

The two sides ended equally on points. As per the Games rules, the side with more wins finished ahead. Pakistan drew all the four matches against Wales, India, England and now Malaysia while Malaysia had one win.

Malaysia called the early shots. A steal in Pakistan half left goalkeeper Imran Butt with no option but to rush out of the 23 meter to thwart the danger. It cost him a yellow card. Replacement Mazhar Abbas was called to make two outstanding saves in his five-minute appearance on the pitch.

Pakistan managed to settle down and looked certainly the better side during the rest of the first-half.

In the ninth minute, after some delightful shot passes, a high ball reached Shafqat Rasool standing unmarked near the right post. The veteran first-timed it into the cage.

In the second quarter, both the two sides got a couple of back to back penalty corners but to no avail. Dilber had the best open play opportunity. He had a goal at his mercy but the try was poor. At the half-time, Pakistan led the way with a


Pakistan rushed out of the blocks after the change of the sides and had a penalty corner in the first minute but the variation did not click. After some back and forth play, Malaysia tested Imran Butt, who was well positioned to stop.

In the 39th minute, Fitri Sari, after a magnificent dribbling run, sent a parallel reverse ball in the path of Ramadan Rosli from deep inside circle’s left. The latter dived to complete a memorable goal. The first minute of the fourth quarter saw Pakistan waste another penalty corner. Then Malaysia could not make out of two back to back penalty corners.

With less than three minutes left, Pakistani head coach Oeltmans replaced the goal-keeper with an outfield player. There was some high drama as Pakistan obtained two back to back penalty corners in the penultimate minute but the Malaysian net minder Hairi Abdul Rahman anticipated well each time and it ended 1-1. The move of head coach Oeltmans, at this occasion, was beyond understanding.

For Pakistan Shafqat Rasool in the 9th minute gave the team a vital lead and for Malaysia Ramadan Rosli in the 39th minute tied the tally. Pakistan will now play for the 7th and 8th position on Friday.