TNSM chief Sufi Muhammad dies at 86, confirms family
ISLAMABAD – The chief of proscribed Tehreek-e-Nifaz-e- Shariah Muhammadi (TNSM), Sufi Muhammad has passed away.
His son confirmed the reports about death of the octogenarian cleric on Thursday.
Sufi, the father-in-law of former Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Maulana Fazlullah, was born in 1933 in Maidan, Lower Dir.
He received his religious education from a local madrassa and was an active member of the Jamaat-e-Islami (JI) in the 1980s.
He founded TNSM in the 90s and pursued the path of violence.
The then government reached an agreement with Sufi Muhammad but he again took to streets due to non implementation of the agreement. He moved to Afghanistan along with his thousands of followers after US attack on Afghanistan. He returned to Pakistan but the government banned TNSM and sent him to jail.
In the face of growing activities of Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan, the PPP government released him but he was again arrested on July 26,2009 only to be released again in 2018.
He faced cases of sedition, conspiracy against the state, attacks on state installations, and inciting hatred against the government among several others.
- I take a break whenever the noise in my head reaches its peak: Zaira ...11:27 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan summons senior Indian envoy over expulsion of 2 officials on ...11:21 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Students of grade 1-12 will be promoted without taking exams: Sindh ...10:52 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 72,460 cases of coronavirus – 1,5 43 confirmed ...10:10 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan has cheapest fuel cost in South Asia, says PM Iman11:56 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Shahroz Sabzwari, Sadaf Kanwal tie the knot amid COVID-1908:09 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Raising a daughter is a huge responsibility: Humaima Malick05:08 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020