Top police officials among 116 indicted in Model Town killing case
The development comes after Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar took notice of the delay in providing justice to the families of the victims.
Accused, including DIG, Umar Riaz, Safdar and other officials of the government, have been charge-sheeted by the court, ARY News reported.
In 2014, around 14 people were killed and 85 others injured during a clash between the police and the PAT workers in 2014 in Model Town over the removal of barriers placed around the Minhaj-ul-Quran Secretariat.
Pakistan Awami Tehreek (PAT) and Minhajul Quran had filed a private complaint in the court seeking trial of then prime minister Nawaz Sharif, Punjab Chief Minister Shehbaz Sharif, federal ministers Saad Rafique and Khawaja Asif and others, accusing them of ‘killing’ innocent party workers.
However, the anti-terrorism court had, partially accepting the plea, excluded premier, chief minister, provincial law minister Rana Sanaullah and eight other MNAs from the trial.
The court had taken up the case against officials of the police and civil administration.
PAT had staged many protests to get justice and later a judicial commission was also formed to probe the horrific incident. The report of the commission was not made public by the government for three years, until orders from the Lahore High Court in 2017.
- Taliban replace Afghanistan women's ministry with vice department12:43 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- HRW says India's ruling BJP targeting Modi govt critics12:22 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Police submit challan against Mufti Aziz in student abuse case11:58 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- New Zealand cricket team’s decision leaves Pakistanis in shock and ...11:42 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- British envoy denies role in cancellation of New Zealand cricket ...11:21 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Malala proud of Angelina Jolie for writing a book for children04:55 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Dur-e-Fishan and Danish Taimoor pair up for upcoming drama Ishq e ...04:30 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Alka Yagnik super excited for Imran Abbas's new drama serial 'Amanat'04:12 PM | 17 Sep, 2021