NA passes 'mini-budget', SBP bill amid opposition protest
ISLAMABAD – The lower house of Pakistani parliament on Thursday passed the State Bank of Pakistan (Amendment) Bill 2021 and supplementary finance bill amid ruckus being created by the opposition.
Termed by the Opposition as a "mini-budget", the Bill was passed with a majority vote giving effect to new tax measures in an ambitious bid to achieve a tax target of Rs5.8 trillion as per the requirement of the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
The approval of both Bills, which were presented in the National Assembly on Dec 30, was necessary to revive the International Monetary Fund’s (IMF) $6 billion bailout package for Pakistan.
NA Speaker Asad Qaiser chaired the session while Prime Minister Imran Khan, Planning and Development Minister Asad Umar and Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi were also present.
Finance Minister Shaukat Tarin tabled the bill during today's session for approval. Shortly after, PPP's Shazia Marri moved a motion seeking the finance bill be circulated for public opinion under Rule 124 of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the National Assembly so that it could be showed how "anti-people" it was.
However, Finance Minister Shaukat Tarin rejected the motion.
As the session is underway, voting also took place on several amendments recommended by the opposition to the finance bill that were subsequently rejected by the lawmakers.
Meanwhile, the opposition is also holding a protest outside the Parliament, led by opposition leader and PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif.
Addressing party supporters, Shehbaz said the opposition has rejected the “mini-budget” as it would increase burden on people in shape of new taxes.
On the other hand, Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry said the approval of the finance supplementary bill will bring betterment to the country's economy.
PTI unveils 'mini budget' amid ruckus by joint ... 06:30 PM | 30 Dec, 2021
ISLAMABAD – Federal Minister for Finance Shaukat Tarin on Thursday tabled the supplementary finance bill, which ...
- No plans to remove power, fuel subsidies ahead of IMF talks: Finance ...04:29 PM | 23 May, 2022
- Did PM Shehbaz Sharif praise Kangana Ranaut’s performance in latest ...04:16 PM | 23 May, 2022
- Pakistan begins nationwide polio immunisation campaign after ...03:51 PM | 23 May, 2022
- Govt decides to complete term amid deepening political, economic ...03:45 PM | 23 May, 2022
- Resham slams Imran Khan over sexist remarks against Maryam Nawaz12:16 PM | 23 May, 2022
- Is Aamir Liaquat getting ready for fourth marriage? Here’s all you ...07:49 PM | 22 May, 2022
- Dollar hits all-time high at Rs19212:45 PM | 12 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022