CJP Nisar orders LHC to initiate proceedings against ex-army chief Kayani
The petition has been filed by an ex-military official, Lt Col (retd) Inamul Rahiem, accusing Kiyani of dissolving a legally established Armed Forces Medical Store Depot, as well as manufacturing, supplying and procuring substandard and spurious medicines, a leading English daily reported.
The petitioner moved the apex court seeking a complete audit of the medicines tendered, purchased and procured by the “improperly established depots” at 27 combined medical hospitals (CMHs).
However, the petition was rejected by the SC registrar over some objections. The retired lieutenant colonel, later, challenged the registrar's decision.
The top judge while hearing the appeal against objections ordered the high court to take up the matter. “I am sanguine that learned court (LHC) shall decide the matter expeditiously,” he added.
The court also observed that the case does not fall under the purview of Article 184(3).
Ministry of Defence, Gen (retd) Ashfaq Parvez Kayani and Lt-General (retd) Athar have been made respondents in the case.
“During his [Athar’s] stay as corps commander Karachi, he came across certain medicine manufacturers and knew their business technique and after his retirement from [the] armed forces he decided to set up a business of medicines,” the English daily cited the petitioner.
It further added that Athar sought services from former Lt Col Naveed.
In 2009, a drug inspector sent the sample of tablet Tinize manufactured by Medizan Laboratories (Pvt) Ltd which was supplied to the DHQ Hospital Rawalpindi and in the market.
The Drug Testing Laboratory Punjab in February 2009 confirmed that the said drug was substandard and also revealed that Medizan had also issued warranty to Foray Pharma in 2008.
- Ex-PM Gillani’ son among 30 PDM workers arrested in Multan10:39 AM | 29 Nov, 2020
- Live open market Foreign Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - ...08:34 AM | 29 Nov, 2020
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 29 November 202008:30 AM | 29 Nov, 2020
- PDM workers storm Multan stadium ahead of Nov 30 rally11:49 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- CokeStudio 2020 lineup revealed06:10 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- Zindagi Tamasha – Pakistan's first Oscar submission04:22 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- Maryam Nafees tests positive for coronavirus12:01 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020