COVID-19: SBP slashes interest rate to 8 percent
KARACHI - The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) has cut its key interest rate by one percent and the new rate has come down from nine percent to 8 percent.
According to a press release, the Bank's Monetary Policy Committee announced the decision on Friday. The interest rate has been reduced keeping in view the coronavirus situation in the country. The SBP has reduced the interest rate by 5.25 percent since March 17.
The central bank, earlier, announced that it will provide loans to health facilities on a 3% markup to counter coronavirus outbreak. The SBP declared that the inflation rate will come down in the coming months while the prices of petroleum products will also decrease.
Local businesses and exporters have lately been protesting at high borrowing costs, which they said was harming investment.
The SBP, in January, left the interest rate unchanged at 13.25 percent. The SBP announces a target rate every two months, which serves as the benchmark interest rate for overnight funds in the interbank market. It is one of the tools the central bank uses to ensure price stability in the economy.
- Coronavirus cases soar above 6 million worldwide11:28 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Latest pics of Nawaz Sharif, having coffee in London, take Twitter by ...09:57 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Pakistan makes face masks mandatory amid record daily deaths from ...09:07 PM | 30 May, 2020
- PAF officer, who died in PIA plane crash, laid to rest in Karachi08:19 PM | 30 May, 2020
- First Covid-19 death reported among KP nurses07:20 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Kylie Jenner is not a billionaire, says Forbes03:09 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Grammy-winning artists from 7 countries collaborate for a Pakistani ...05:16 PM | 29 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020