COVID-19: SBP slashes interest rate to 8 percent
KARACHI - The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) has cut its key interest rate by one percent and the new rate has come down from nine percent to 8 percent.
According to a press release, the Bank's Monetary Policy Committee announced the decision on Friday. The interest rate has been reduced keeping in view the coronavirus situation in the country. The SBP has reduced the interest rate by 5.25 percent since March 17.
The central bank, earlier, announced that it will provide loans to health facilities on a 3% markup to counter coronavirus outbreak. The SBP declared that the inflation rate will come down in the coming months while the prices of petroleum products will also decrease.
Local businesses and exporters have lately been protesting at high borrowing costs, which they said was harming investment.
The SBP, in January, left the interest rate unchanged at 13.25 percent. The SBP announces a target rate every two months, which serves as the benchmark interest rate for overnight funds in the interbank market. It is one of the tools the central bank uses to ensure price stability in the economy.
- Nawal Saeed melts hearts with new sizzling photos in saree11:10 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Michael Weisz’s YieldStreet faces litigation of over £100 million10:48 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Asad Zaman makes into Punjab Junior Tennis quarterfinals10:20 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- DG ISPR, Information minister review Pakistan's diamond jubilee ...09:54 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- In telephone call with Blinken, FM Bilawal reiterates commitment for ...09:29 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Nora Fatehi’s new video of playing cricket in saree goes viral06:06 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Fia Khan’s new bold pregnancy photoshoot with family goes viral05:18 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Dolly’s new TikTok video goes viral03:42 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022