Malala urges the world to help Kashmiri children return to school
Taking to Twitter, Malala, 22, said she was deeply concerned about reports that Kashmiri students “have not been able to attend schools for more than 40 days”, and “about girls who are afraid to leave their homes”.
“I am asking leaders, at UNGA and beyond, to work towards peace in Kashmir, listen to Kashmiri voices and help children go safely back to school," the youngest-ever Nobel Laureate tweeted on Saturday.
I am deeply concerned about reports of 4,000 people, including children, arbitrarily arrested & jailed, about students who haven’t been able to attend school for more than 40 days, about girls who are afraid to leave their homes.— Malala (@Malala) September 14, 2019
Life remains paralysed in the Indian-occupied Kashmir since August 5 when New Delhi abrogated Article 370 of the Constitution, ending the special status of Jammu and Kashmir. Most shops and schools remain shut and public transport has gone off the roads in the held-Valley.
The efforts of the state government to reopen schools have not borne any fruit as parents continue to keep the kids at home due to apprehensions about their safety. Posters have appeared in Srinagar warning people to keep their children away from schools after the Centre abrogated Jammu and Kashmir's special status last month.
The Taliban, who are opposed to the education of girls, have destroyed hundreds of schools in Pakistan.
- Former Mossad chief reveals how Israel stole Iranian nuclear documents11:55 PM | 11 Jun, 2021
- US lawmaker removed for helping crowd breach State Capitol10:45 PM | 11 Jun, 2021
- Meesha Shafi and Aagha Ali concerned for uniformed personnel, ...06:28 PM | 11 Jun, 2021
- Here’s how ‘detective’ Muneeb Butt caught a thief (VIDEO)03:26 PM | 11 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021