Pakistani twins conjoined by skulls separated in London hospital after 55 hours of surgeries
LONDON – A pair of twins from Pakistan, who were joined by skulls and blood vessels, were separated in Great Ormond Street Hospital in London after 55 hours of operations, the hospital has announced.
"Four operations, 55 hours of operating time - and a fond farewell! After 9 months of care, the twins and their family left GOSH on 1 July. Safa and Marwa have a long road ahead - but we are hopeful they will be able to live active, happy lives!" Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH), where the twins were separated, tweeted late Monday.
We’ve an incredible story to share with you: conjoined twins Safa and Marwa have been successfully separated – the first such procedure at @GreatOrmondSt since 2011! Discover their extraordinary story. https://t.co/aKrOCMGu3q 🎉🏥 pic.twitter.com/zePGMMrdIt— Great Ormond Street Hospital (@GreatOrmondSt) July 15, 2019
The hospital said that the girls, Safa and Marwa, were born in January 2017. They were conjoined at the head, such twins are called 'craniopagus' twins.
The hospital welcomed the girls in fall 2018 and started preparations. The separation process included four stages and involved a number of medical personnel, from nurses to craniofacial and neurology experts.
"After a period of recuperation and intensive physiotherapy at GOSH, the twins left hospital in July2019 and are now recovering well at home with their family," the hospital said.
The girls face many challenges ahead, but the hospital hopes that they will lead active lives.
- OPPO – Zoom into imagination now with a better price at the right ...05:13 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 240,000 cases of coronavirus – 4,983 confirmed ...04:23 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- Madar-e-Millat Fatima Jinnah remembered on death anniversary03:51 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- Asim Azhar's 'Jo Tu Na Mila' is a copy of Studio Ghibli production's ...02:04 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- Veteran Bollywood actor Jagdeep dies at 8101:31 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- Beyonce is an Italian, not African-American, US politician claims01:24 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020