Iran sues US in international court
The case, filed Tuesday at the United Nations’ main court, follows a US Supreme Court decision in April that gave victims of terrorist attacks allegedly linked to Iran the right to collect some $2 billion in Iranian assets that are frozen in the US.
"We shouldn't remain silent vis-a-vis this event and we officially filed a lawsuit at the International Court of Justice yesterday and will pursue the case until attaining results," Rouhani said on Wednesday, according to the Islamic Republic News Agency.
"The US courts have issued illegal rulings and said that the properties should be provided to the Americans and the families of those people killed in Lebanon and it is not clear what the Americans did in Lebanon (at the time) and how the issue is related to Iran," Rouhani said.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif warned after the Supreme Court ruling was issued in April that Iran would initiate legal action concerning the assets. Additionally, he was quoted saying last month Iran doesn't acknowledge the ruling.
Zarif also announced a special commission will be created to evaluate the US decision to freeze the assets and distribute them to Americans.
According to the Wall Street Journal, the U.S. is aware of the situation and is determining how best to proceed.
"As we have said before, we believe that the United States has acted consistent with its obligations under international law," State Department spokesman John Kirby said.
- Pakistan in top 10 as ICC releases latest Women’s T20I rankings07:28 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Ex-PM Imran Khan faces arrest after warrants issued06:47 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- PAKvENG: Shaun Tait’s hilarious reaction after Pakistan defeat goes ...06:12 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Army joins hunt for kidnappers of Pakistani businessman in Uganda05:41 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Sabeeka Imam's new bold photos set internet on fire05:17 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- 'Javed Iqbal: The Untold Story Of A Serial Killer' selected for DC ...04:14 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022