Iran sues US in international court
The case, filed Tuesday at the United Nations’ main court, follows a US Supreme Court decision in April that gave victims of terrorist attacks allegedly linked to Iran the right to collect some $2 billion in Iranian assets that are frozen in the US.
"We shouldn't remain silent vis-a-vis this event and we officially filed a lawsuit at the International Court of Justice yesterday and will pursue the case until attaining results," Rouhani said on Wednesday, according to the Islamic Republic News Agency.
"The US courts have issued illegal rulings and said that the properties should be provided to the Americans and the families of those people killed in Lebanon and it is not clear what the Americans did in Lebanon (at the time) and how the issue is related to Iran," Rouhani said.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif warned after the Supreme Court ruling was issued in April that Iran would initiate legal action concerning the assets. Additionally, he was quoted saying last month Iran doesn't acknowledge the ruling.
Zarif also announced a special commission will be created to evaluate the US decision to freeze the assets and distribute them to Americans.
According to the Wall Street Journal, the U.S. is aware of the situation and is determining how best to proceed.
"As we have said before, we believe that the United States has acted consistent with its obligations under international law," State Department spokesman John Kirby said.
- LIVE: Imran Khan arrives in Islamabad to address participants in ...02:15 AM | 26 May, 2022
- IMF tells Pakistan to remove petroleum subsidies for revival of loan ...11:35 PM | 25 May, 2022
- All educational institutions to remain closed in Rawalpindi tomorrow09:28 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Another child paralyzed as Pakistan reports fourth polio case of 202208:44 PM | 25 May, 2022
- HSA, UNFPA mark Int'l day of Midwife 2022 and day to end Obstetric ...08:14 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Amar Khan and Momal Sheikh's hilarious BTS video goes viral06:45 PM | 25 May, 2022
- ‘Pawri girl’ Dananeer Mobeen's new video goes viral02:07 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Coke Studio 14 sets new popularity records in India04:44 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022