Pakistan escapes FATF blacklist, to remain on grey list till Feb 2020
PARIS – The Financial Action Task Force on Friday announced that Pakistan will remain on the grey till February 2020, giving it a final deadline to overcome the deficiencies to avoid blacklisting.
The Paris-based FATF issued the warning to Pakistan at its five-day plenary. In an official statement, the global watchdog admitted the progress made by Pakistan to curb money laundering and terror financing.
However, it also strongly urged “Pakistan to swiftly complete its full action plan by February 2020. Otherwise, should significant and sustainable progress not be made across the full range of its action plan by the next Plenary, the FATF will take action”.
At the plenary, “Pakistan reiterated its political commitment to completing its action plan and implementing AML/CFT reforms,” read the statement.
Last year, Pakistan was put on a grey list of countries responsible for terror-financing last year, giving Islamabad with a 27-point action plan to take strict anti-money laundering steps.
Earlier in June, the watchdog gave four months to the country to ensure implementation of the action plan.
Placing a country on blacklist usually results in economic sanctions and trade penalties imposed and implemented by the G-7 countries. No sanctions are placed on a grey-listed country.
- PTI rejects Transparency International's 'biased' report about ...07:17 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- UNODC, Interior Ministry launch technical assistance framework07:02 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- UK changes its travel advice to reflect improved security situation ...06:15 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- COAS Bajwa inaugurates Electronic Warfare and Ground Surveillance ...06:06 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- I’m sorry I take none of what you said seriously: Anupam Kher ...04:59 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- #MeToo: 'Harvey Weinstein raped me', Annabella Sciorra testifies in ...04:08 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy meets Deepika Padukone at World Economic Forum03:29 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- I don’t even think I should be alive: Justin Bieber gives emotional ...02:46 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019