Pakistan escapes FATF blacklist, to remain on grey list till Feb 2020
PARIS – The Financial Action Task Force on Friday announced that Pakistan will remain on the grey till February 2020, giving it a final deadline to overcome the deficiencies to avoid blacklisting.
The Paris-based FATF issued the warning to Pakistan at its five-day plenary. In an official statement, the global watchdog admitted the progress made by Pakistan to curb money laundering and terror financing.
However, it also strongly urged “Pakistan to swiftly complete its full action plan by February 2020. Otherwise, should significant and sustainable progress not be made across the full range of its action plan by the next Plenary, the FATF will take action”.
At the plenary, “Pakistan reiterated its political commitment to completing its action plan and implementing AML/CFT reforms,” read the statement.
Last year, Pakistan was put on a grey list of countries responsible for terror-financing last year, giving Islamabad with a 27-point action plan to take strict anti-money laundering steps.
Earlier in June, the watchdog gave four months to the country to ensure implementation of the action plan.
Placing a country on blacklist usually results in economic sanctions and trade penalties imposed and implemented by the G-7 countries. No sanctions are placed on a grey-listed country.
- Pakistan strongly condemns anti-Islam Facebook post by Indian ...10:07 PM | 12 Aug, 2020
- Hafeez quarantined in England for taking photo with 90-year-old lady ...09:10 PM | 12 Aug, 2020
- Afghanistan thanks Pakistan Army chief for supporting reconciliation ...07:57 PM | 12 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan Railways changes routes of some Karachi-bound trains07:37 PM | 12 Aug, 2020
- Rasta App & Online Time Scheduling System for Driving License ...07:34 PM | 12 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020