Pakistan escapes FATF blacklist, to remain on grey list till Feb 2020
PARIS – The Financial Action Task Force on Friday announced that Pakistan will remain on the grey till February 2020, giving it a final deadline to overcome the deficiencies to avoid blacklisting.
The Paris-based FATF issued the warning to Pakistan at its five-day plenary. In an official statement, the global watchdog admitted the progress made by Pakistan to curb money laundering and terror financing.
However, it also strongly urged “Pakistan to swiftly complete its full action plan by February 2020. Otherwise, should significant and sustainable progress not be made across the full range of its action plan by the next Plenary, the FATF will take action”.
At the plenary, “Pakistan reiterated its political commitment to completing its action plan and implementing AML/CFT reforms,” read the statement.
Last year, Pakistan was put on a grey list of countries responsible for terror-financing last year, giving Islamabad with a 27-point action plan to take strict anti-money laundering steps.
Earlier in June, the watchdog gave four months to the country to ensure implementation of the action plan.
Placing a country on blacklist usually results in economic sanctions and trade penalties imposed and implemented by the G-7 countries. No sanctions are placed on a grey-listed country.
- Rangers troops deployed in Lahore after lawyers ransack hospital11:30 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- PM Imran becomes world's fifth most influential leader on Twitter in ...10:51 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Dozens arrested in crackdown after lawyers storm PIC Lahore08:51 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Key officials from Russia, Britain meet Pakistan's army chief07:19 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Beyoncé & Kelly Rowland were sexually harassed as teens by Jagged ...06:57 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Ed Sheeran declared as the UK’s artist of the decade06:26 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Mere Paas Tum Ho scores more IMDB rating than Game of Thrones02:23 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019