CJP takes suo motu notice of embezzlement in 2005 earthquake funds
Sheraz Mehmood Qureshi, a social activist from Mansehra had moved an application accusing politicians and officials of embezzling the quake funds against which the apex court has fixed March 26 for hearing.
The apex court has directed the respondents, including the attorney general, KP advocate general, director general Earthquake Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Authority (Erra) Islamabad and the applicant Mr Qureshi, to physically show up before the bench on the date fixed for the hearing.
Mr. Qureshi in his application pleaded that the people of Mansehra alone suffered over 17,000 deaths in the tragedy 12 years ago, which almost entirely flattened the Balakot town, but 'financial assistance meant for payment of compensation and rehabilitation of the survivors has been embezzled'.
He continued that due to the financial misappropriation the people of Balakot were still residing in makeshift prefabricated houses donated by Saudi Arabia.
'New Balakot City housing project was still in the doldrums. Schools and health facilities destroyed in the tragedy are still not reconstructed in Balakot and other parts of the district,” he argued.
Pleading the apex court to order an audit of or inquiry into all the foreign financial assistance, the petitioner sought the top court to expose all those involved in this large-scale corruption.
In his application, Qureshi went a mile more and alleged that Erra officials, mostly retired from army, purchased luxurious vehicles for their personal comfort from the funds meant for quake survivors.
- PCB mulls options to outsource biosecure bubble for remaining PSL6 ...12:43 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- Shalwar kameez only on campus, Peshawar university instructs female ...12:24 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- LIVE: NA session underway as PM Imran faces Vote of Confidence11:50 AM | 6 Mar, 2021
- NASA's new Mars rover hits dusty red road, 1st trip 21 feet11:44 AM | 6 Mar, 2021
- Two dacoits arrested after exchange of fire with Faisalabad Dolphins11:35 AM | 6 Mar, 2021
- Adele and Simon Konecki finalise their divorce after two years09:13 PM | 5 Mar, 2021
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' – Indian actor accused of sexual assault04:30 PM | 5 Mar, 2021
- Feroze Khan wins Best Actor award for Ishqiya03:03 PM | 5 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021