CJP takes suo motu notice of embezzlement in 2005 earthquake funds
Sheraz Mehmood Qureshi, a social activist from Mansehra had moved an application accusing politicians and officials of embezzling the quake funds against which the apex court has fixed March 26 for hearing.
The apex court has directed the respondents, including the attorney general, KP advocate general, director general Earthquake Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Authority (Erra) Islamabad and the applicant Mr Qureshi, to physically show up before the bench on the date fixed for the hearing.
Mr. Qureshi in his application pleaded that the people of Mansehra alone suffered over 17,000 deaths in the tragedy 12 years ago, which almost entirely flattened the Balakot town, but 'financial assistance meant for payment of compensation and rehabilitation of the survivors has been embezzled'.
He continued that due to the financial misappropriation the people of Balakot were still residing in makeshift prefabricated houses donated by Saudi Arabia.
'New Balakot City housing project was still in the doldrums. Schools and health facilities destroyed in the tragedy are still not reconstructed in Balakot and other parts of the district,” he argued.
Pleading the apex court to order an audit of or inquiry into all the foreign financial assistance, the petitioner sought the top court to expose all those involved in this large-scale corruption.
In his application, Qureshi went a mile more and alleged that Erra officials, mostly retired from army, purchased luxurious vehicles for their personal comfort from the funds meant for quake survivors.
- Babar Azam reacts to becoming No.1 ODI batsman in the world (VIDEO)07:32 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Nora Fatehi, Madhuri Dixit set the stage on fire with killer dance ...07:01 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Hundreds of Indian devotees contract COVID-19 at Kumbh festival06:00 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- In world first, New Zealand to roll out climate change law05:40 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Rangers deployed in Punjab districts amid violent TLP protests05:22 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Malaika Arora' latest pics spark engagement rumours04:02 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Sami Khan tests positive for COVID-1903:05 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Atif Aslam set to release a new naat this Ramadan03:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021
- Ten New IPO Billionaires in 202107:59 PM | 8 Apr, 2021