Nawaz Sharif becomes 'social worker' after landing in jail
RAWALPINDI - The former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, who is currently serving his term in the Adiala Jail for concealing assets, has decided to start work for the welfare of fellow inmates.
According to local media reports, the convicted Nawaz also held talks with jail authorities to carry out the activity.
The three-time former premier has directed his personal staff in jail to get details of prisoners who could not afford the amount for paying the imposed fines by courts in their respective cases.
Nawaz Sharif has vowed to pay the fines on their behalf in order to get them released from the jail. He also announced to install water facility inside the jail.
Adiala jail authorities said that a list is being prepared of the inmates who have not been released due to non-payment of the fines.
Nawaz was sentenced to a total of 11 years in prison and slapped a £8 million fine (Rs1.3 billion) while Maryam was sentenced to eight years with a £2 million fine (Rs335 million). Moreover, Maryam’s husband, Capt (retd) Safdar, is also serving his term in Adiala jail.
- NDMA activates another two separate hotlines to counter locust, ...11:27 AM | 31 May, 2020
- At least 7 killed, 30 injured after Multan-bound bus overturns near ...10:31 AM | 31 May, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 69,000 cases of coronavirus – 1,483 confirmed ...10:19 AM | 31 May, 2020
- KSA reopens Masjid-e-Nabwi for public today09:28 AM | 31 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Kylie Jenner is not a billionaire, says Forbes03:09 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Grammy-winning artists from 7 countries collaborate for a Pakistani ...05:16 PM | 29 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020