Two kids killed after Dalit family set ablaze in Indian Punjab
The children, two-and-a-half-year-old Vaibhav and nine-month-old succumbed to burns, while their parents Jitender and Rekha are fighting for their lives at Safdarjung Hospital in New Delhi.
The incident has deepened fears for the safety of Dalits in Haryana.
According to media reports, a group of men, allegedly acquainted to the Thakur families of the village, entered the Dalit family's home, doused the victims with petrol and set them on fire. Preliminary police inquiries indicate that a piece of property was the cause of rancour between Jitender and the Rajput men.
Police have been deployed in the village in large number to maintain law and order.
Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar announced a compensation of Rs1 million for each of the dead children.
The Sikhs are also continuing to hold protests in several parts of Indian Punjab and have blocked key roads and some burning effigy of Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal in protest against desecration of their holy book.
Read more: Sikhs protests intensify across Indian Punjab over desecration of holy book
The three-hour protests by Sikh activists at different places, including Moga, Fardikot, Taran Taran, Mansa, Patiala and Jalandhar passed off peacefully, Chandigarh police said on Tuesday.
- Karachi police bust ‘burger gang’ involved in house robberies in ...10:30 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- PCB unveils team Pakistan’s official jersey for T20 World Cup08:45 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Pakistan reopens shrines, cinemas for fully vaccinated visitors08:20 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- PTI govt to lose another finance minister today08:08 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Saba Qamar drops the first look from upcoming project 'Serial Killer'04:47 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Mehwish Hayat expresses love for Jennifer Lopez04:20 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Alizeh Shah's gorgeous bridal shoot wins hearts03:27 PM | 15 Oct, 2021