Trump administration mulls resumption of security aid to Pakistan
According to American paper Washington Times, the election of Imran Khan as 22nd prime minister of Pakistan has opened a window of opportunity for both the countries to reconsider the ties, that have become tense in the pretext of Trump's aggressive policy.
However, Washington is divided over reconsidering President Donald Trump's policy to withhold the security assistance on grounds that Islamabad is ready to reconsider its willingness to 'provide safe haven to terrorists', stated the report.
“Some of Mr. Trump’s top advisers argue that the time is ripe for Washington to begin restoring the military aid that the president cut from Islamabad at the start of the year,” it added.
Trump attacks Pakistan in first tweet of 2018, ... 05:46 PM | 1 Jan, 2018
WASHINGTON - US President Donald Trump tweeted on Monday that the United States had foolishly given Pakistan over $33 ...
A former US ambassador to Pakistan had earlier remarked that the recent cutting of security funds under the banner of Coalition Support Fund (CSF) was an absolutely terrible decision.
Earlier this month, the US made its final decision to cancel another $300 million in aid to its longtime ally over claims that Islamabad failed to take decisive action against militants.
In a blunt tweet, the tycoon-turned-president accused Pakistan of rewarding past assistance with “nothing but lies & deceit.”
A fresh blow to the fraught relations between the allies was served by US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, who did not authorise $300 million in CSF funds through this summer.
Mettis had to see if Pakistan had taken concrete actions to go after insurgents.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo meets PM Imran ... 04:43 PM | 5 Sep, 2018
ISLAMABAD - US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met Prime Minister Imran Khan at the PM House in the high-stakes one day ...
Another $500 million in CSF was stripped by the Congress from Pakistan earlier this year, which brings the total withheld funds to $800 million - an amount Pakistan had already spent in the Global War On Terror (GWOT).
The resetting of ties was also seen as a viable option between Islamabad and United States during the visit of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to Pakistan.
- Pakistani athlete Najma Parveen finishes last in Tokyo Olympics11:38 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat spotted rebuking Karachi traffic cop publicly in viral ...11:24 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- UK court tells Pakistan's NAB to pay billions to Broadsheet by Aug 1310:16 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Falak takes Sarah on shopping spree (VIDEO)09:00 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Prince Charming - Mahira Khan's first look from upcoming webseries ...05:50 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Sharmila Faruqui lashes out at Ayeza Khan’s controversial scene ...05:21 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021