Five UK mosques vandalized in overnight violence
Police said they first received reports of a man smashing windows with a sledgehammer on Birchfield Road at 02:30 GMT.
Officers then received reports about a similar attack in Erdington about 45 minutes later, with more in Aston and Perry Barr reported; another on Albert Road was struck at 10:00 GMT.
Seven windows and two doors were smashed up in the attack at the Witton Road Islamic Centre in Witton.
"We were deeply horrified to hear a number of mosques were vandalised during the early hours of this morning. Birmingham's mosques are a place of worship, serenity and a source of peace and tranquillity. We are appalled by such acts of hate/terror," the council said in a statement.
Police have yet to ascertain the motive of the unknown suspect and no arrests have been made yet. The Counter-Terrorism Unit is investigating the incident.
"Let me be clear, hateful behaviour has absolutely no place in our society and will never be accepted." the home secretary said.
Unfortunately the Witton Road Islamic Centre was attacked overnight by an individual who used a sledgehammer to break the windows.— Cllr Majid Mahmood (@CllrMajid) March 21, 2019
I said last week that Muslims were afraid after the terrorist attacks in #ChristChurch
We need support in Brum @WMPolice. pic.twitter.com/7RjTqjRXbx
Moreover, Shabana Mahmood, Labour MP for Birmingham Ladywood echoed the same concerns as Javid.
'I have spoken with the Chief Constable & will be in constant contact with community leaders throughout the day. I would urge all residents to remain calm & call Crime Stoppers with any info you may have,' she said on Twitter.
The attacks come just six days after 50 Muslims were killed in a terrorist attack on two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand in a terror attack launched by Australian-born Brenton Tarrant.
Birmingham is one of Britain’s largest cities and home to one of its biggest Muslim communities. More than one in five people there have declared Islam as their religion, as per the New York Times.
- PM Imran congratulates Sri Lankan counterpart Rajapaksa over election ...11:30 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan to resume international flight operations at all airports ...10:57 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- NAB rejects allegations of striking plea bargain deal with 2 army ...09:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- At least 11 dead as Air India passenger plan skids off runway, splits ...09:10 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- What do you know about Ravi Riverfront Urban Development Project?08:36 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- A sneak peek inside Selena Gomez's HBO cooking show05:38 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- John Wick 5 announced, to film back-to-back with 4th installment05:14 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Ever since I was a child I’ve had a sleeping issue: Mahira Khan04:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020