Axact’s head office in Dubai closed for last two years
Khaleej Times visited three locations listed as Axact offices in online business directories and found only one bearing the company’s name. A small leased space inside a business center managed by Tecom in Dubai Media City is all that remains of Axact’s Dubai operations.
“Nobody has visited this office in the last two years and it hasn’t been opened even once,” said a security guard working at a business centre leased by Axact.
Two chairs, an empty office desk and a telephone are visible in the glass cabin representing Axact FZ LLC.
“The owner is never here but we do receive a few couriers occasionally,” said the guard.
He could not elaborate further on whether the courier was ultimately delivered to the company’s representatives but did confirm the company was owned by a “Pakistani businessman”.
The company is at the centre of a vast fake degree scam, after an article in the New York Times alleged its involvement in selling fake degrees.
A post on the company’s website lists the small leased space in Dubai as the company’s head office with a news post reading, “The head office in Pakistan is in Karachi and the capital city can also boast an Axact regional office. The corporate head office is in Dubai, the city which has become the new business hub of the world.”
Officials from Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) raided the company’s Karachi office on Wednesday morning, seizing all electronic equipment. Law enforcement agencies across Pakistan have swung into action following the news report with summons issued to Axact officials.
According to media reports in Pakistan, six million shares of Axact Private Limited are distributed between three shareholders. Out of these total six million shares, Shoaib Ahmed Sheikh and his wife Ayesha Shoaib Sheikh have only two shares whereas the remaining 5,999,998 shares are owned by the third director - Axact LLC, based in a Dubai Free Zone.
Tecom officials were not available for comments.
- UAE extends deadline of $2bn loan repayment for Pakistan12:13 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani origin young innovator named in Forbes' 30 Under 30 list11:45 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Teenage boy 'gang-raped', filmed by six in Punjab’s Pakpattan11:14 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Over 100 clerics of banned TLP placed on fourth schedule10:45 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - 2021-April-20-Updated ...09:56 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Amir Liaquat's Nagin dance video goes viral06:19 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Alia Bhatt comments on Pakistani rapper-comedian's latest video05:57 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Ali Azmat tests positive for COVID-1904:15 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021