‘Women’s empowerment vital in building climate resilience’
ISLAMABAD (Staff Report) - ‘Women are disproportionately vulnerable to the effects of natural disasters and Climate Change, where their rights and socio-economic status are not equal to those of men. Hence, empowerment of women is an important ingredient in building climate resilience’.
Major GeneralAsghar Nawaz,Chairman, National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), said this, at the inaugural address of roundtable on ‘Gender and Climate Vulnerabilities: Future Direction for Policy Research and Action’, organised by Leadership for Environment and Development (LEAD) Pakistan, in collaboration with Climate and Development Knowledge Network (CDKN), OXFAM Novib and National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA).
Ali Tauqeer Sheikh, CEO, LEAD Pakistan, and Director Asia, Climate and Development Knowledge Network (CDKN), gave the welcome addressed highlighted that women in Pakistan are increasingly getting affected from the impacts of Climate Change and there’s a dire need to integrate gender into Climate Change.
The panel comprised distinguished experts from the government, embassies, and development sector, including Dr. Khawar Mumtaz, Member Board of Governors, LEAD Pakistan, and Former Chairperson, National Commission on Status of Women; Samar Minallah, Member Board of Governors, LEAD Pakistan, and Documentary Filmmaker & Anthropologist; Huma Chughtai, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Human Rights; Leslie Tinney, First Secretary, Canadian High Commission; Dr. Farhat Sheikh, Gender Advisor, Canadian.
- PM Imran congratulates Sri Lankan counterpart Rajapaksa over election ...11:30 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan to resume international flight operations at all airports ...10:57 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- NAB rejects allegations of striking plea bargain deal with 2 army ...09:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- At least 11 dead as Air India passenger plan skids off runway, splits ...09:10 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- What do you know about Ravi Riverfront Urban Development Project?08:36 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- A sneak peek inside Selena Gomez's HBO cooking show05:38 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- John Wick 5 announced, to film back-to-back with 4th installment05:14 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Ever since I was a child I’ve had a sleeping issue: Mahira Khan04:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020