NAB to probe 22-year delay in State Life Tower construction
The chief of anti-corruption watchdog issued the orders on Monday while taking notice of loss of billions of rupees to the public exchequer, misuse of authority, and negligence in the project by the only government-owned insurance company, State Life Insurance Corporation of Pakistan.
Mr. Iqbal said the policy-holders invest their life savings to get the maximum profit, trusting the government that their money is spent on genuine and practical projects which would complete in stipulated time. But, the NAB chief added, the building which consists of 19 floors and three basements and is spread over an area of 298,600 sq ft was initially estimated to cost Rs1.35 billion is still incomplete despite a lapse of 22 years.
Despite it would cost more now, only 19 floors of the tower have yet been constructed while three are yet under construction - that will take even more time to complete.
The building’s civil works were finalised by the contractor on December 31 last year, while boiler and ventilation fans’ expected delivery is in March 2018.
Another hurdle in the building’s completion is its lifts which were imported but the contractor shipped geared lifts instead of the required gearless ones. The corporation is yet to sort out this issue.
SLIC executives say the tower is expected to be completed and rented out by the end of 2018.
The NAB chairman has also sought details regarding the repeated transfer of State Life bosses, ordering the bureau to determine the responsibility for the delay.
- Infinix Hot 10 Play with 6000mAh battery is up for pre-orders12:57 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Sindh Wildlife Dept rescues two blind Indus dolphins near Rohri canal ...11:52 AM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Biden to propose 8-year citizenship path for immigrants11:28 AM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan reports 58 Covid-19 fatalities, death toll crosses 11,00011:24 AM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Nora Fatehi 'had fun last night' with Turkish chef Burak in Dubai ...07:29 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Mahira Khan recovers from COVID-19 infection, announces return to TV ...04:41 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Pakistani actor Huma Nawab loses Rs0.2 million to online scammers04:10 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021