Pakistan allows Raheel Sharif to lead Saudi-led military alliance
The minster on Saturday revealed this during an interview with Geo TV channel's programme Jirga.
Former army chief’s Saudi assignment to lead Islamic Military Alliance has been a matter of controversy in the media. This coalition force was formed by Saudi Arabia's Defence Minister Mohammad bin Salman Al Saud on December 15, 2015.
Sharing the details, the defence minister said Saudi government had sought a written permission from Pakistan which we have given. "It is a matter between the two governments and not an individual affair", Khawaja added.
A meeting of Advisory Council of member states is scheduled for May this year. "Everything is finalized regarding the coalition", the minister explained.
Saudi Arabia has also issued General Raheel and his wife three-year multiple visas, possibly making him the first Pakistani in ten years, who has been granted this facility in private capacity.
Raheel Sharif will reside in Riyadh where the joint operation centre of this alliance has been established. He will be the alliance's founding Commander-in-Chief.
Initially when this military alliance was formed, it contained 34 members. With the inclusion of Oman and other countries, it has now swelled to 41 members.
Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Tunisia, Sudan, Malaysia, Egypt, Yemen and other Muslim countries are said to be part of the coalition.
The coalition would tackle "the Islamic world's problem with terrorism and will be a partner in the worldwide fight against this scourge" announced Saudi defence minister and deputy crown prince Mohammad bin Salman Al Saud at a press conference in Riyadh in 2015.
- T20 World Cup: Bangladesh and Oman lock horns in must-win game today12:32 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- PM Imran, President Alvi extend felicitations to Muslims on Eid ...11:57 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Eid Milad-un-Nabi: Mobile phone services partially suspended in parts ...11:33 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Defamation suit: ARY UK apologises to Ishaq Dar over ‘fabricated’ ...11:04 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Iran invites Pakistan to multilateral conference on Afghanistan10:36 AM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Atif Aslam pays tribute to late Farhad Humayun with iconic song06:00 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic in search of Pakistani NGOs05:00 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra goes scuba diving in Spain (VIDEO)05:25 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021