‘Mexico will not pay for any wall’, Pena Nieto hits back at Trump’s barrier plan in video message
Donald Trump has signed an executive order for an "impassable physical barrier" and has insisted Mexico will reimburse the US for it. He also insisted in an ABC News interview yesterday that Mexico would 'absolutely' pay for the wall, but failed to clearly explain how that would happen.
Pena Neito has vowed that Mexicans would not foot the bill, despite what Trump has said. The Mexican president said he regrets and rejects the US decision to build a wall. But he made no mention of cancelling or postponing a trip to Washington on 31 January to meet the new US president.
“I've asked for the minister of Foreign Relations to re-enforce protection measures to our citizens,” he said.
“Mexico offers and demands respect like the fully sovereign nation we are,” he said. “Mexico gives its friendship to the people of the United States and wishes to reach agreements with its government - agreements that will be in favor of Mexico and Mexicans.”
The orders also called for hiring 10,000 immigration officials to help boost border patrol efforts.
- My investor is my master’, Pakistan’s PM Shehbaz tells Turkish ...05:40 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Imran Khan reaches Rawalpindi amid threats, to address PTI’s ...03:02 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- SBP governor confident of $1bn Sukuk repayment before due date02:44 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Sania Mirza rubs shoulder with husband Shoaib Malik amid divorce ...01:09 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Humaima Malick pays special tribute to Anjuman Shaheen at LUX Style ...10:05 PM | 25 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022
- Shehbaz Sharif, Imran Khan, Gen Bajwa named among world’s 500 most ...10:36 PM | 1 Nov, 2022
- India falls behind Pakistan, Myanmar in Global Hunger Index02:30 PM | 16 Oct, 2022