‘Mexico will not pay for any wall’, Pena Nieto hits back at Trump’s barrier plan in video message
Donald Trump has signed an executive order for an "impassable physical barrier" and has insisted Mexico will reimburse the US for it. He also insisted in an ABC News interview yesterday that Mexico would 'absolutely' pay for the wall, but failed to clearly explain how that would happen.
Pena Neito has vowed that Mexicans would not foot the bill, despite what Trump has said. The Mexican president said he regrets and rejects the US decision to build a wall. But he made no mention of cancelling or postponing a trip to Washington on 31 January to meet the new US president.
“I've asked for the minister of Foreign Relations to re-enforce protection measures to our citizens,” he said.
“Mexico offers and demands respect like the fully sovereign nation we are,” he said. “Mexico gives its friendship to the people of the United States and wishes to reach agreements with its government - agreements that will be in favor of Mexico and Mexicans.”
The orders also called for hiring 10,000 immigration officials to help boost border patrol efforts.
- PM Imran congratulates newly-elected Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi10:12 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Primary schools in Sindh to open from Monday09:17 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- PSL 2021 – Islamabad United opt to field first against Multan ...08:18 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Matric students to prepare board exams through Exam Prep Master ...05:49 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Madhuri Dixit and Jaaved Jaaferi set the stage on fire with killer ...05:00 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Zara Noor Abbas lands in hot waters after latest photoshoot04:06 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021