France carries out first anti-IS air strikes in Syria
"Our country thus confirms its resolute commitment to fight against the terrorist threat represented by Daesh [Islamic State]. We will strike each time that our national security is at stake," the French Presidency said in a statement.
The president's office said that French planes struck targets identified during reconnaissance missions conducted over the past fortnight.
France co-ordinated with regional partners for the operation, a brief statement said.
French jets have previously carried out air strikes against IS targets in neighbouring Iraq.
Earlier this week France announced it may carry out airstrikes against Islamic State targets in Syria as an act of self-defense.
“We are part of the coalition in Iraq [against ISIS],” France’s President Francois Hollande said at a news conference. “We started reconnaissance flights [in Syria] to enable us to consider air strikes if they were necessary and they will be necessary in Syria.”
- Sialkot TikToker arrested over husband’s murder12:22 PM | 7 Jul, 2022
- Journalist #ImranRiazKhan arrested by Chakwal police after released ...11:13 AM | 7 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan reports highest Covid-19 deaths in nearly four months10:30 AM | 7 Jul, 2022
- Two arrested in Karachi for sharing female govt officers names on ...10:02 AM | 7 Jul, 2022
- Sunny Leone’s new video of getting body massage goes viral07:04 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Nora Fatehi’s new video of playing cricket in saree goes viral06:06 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Fia Khan’s new bold pregnancy photoshoot with family goes viral05:18 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022