Turkey suffers first death in Syria campaign
ANKARA - Turkey has suffered its first loss of life in an intensifying campaign against militancy in northern Syria.
A soldier was killed when Kurdish fighters fired on tanks. Kurdish media say three tanks were destroyed.
Turkish tanks backed by gunship helicopters rolled into Syrian territory earlier this week in an operation aimed at so-called Islamic State but also at Kurdish forces in the area.
Elsewhere in Syria activists say at least 15 people were killed in a barrel bomb attack in Aleppo, the BBC rpeorted.
Turkey has vowed to continue the campaign until there is no longer a "terror" threat from its neighbor, likely to refer both to IS and to the Kurds.
It fears Kurdish fighters gaining an unbroken strip of territory along its border, which would be a huge boost to the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), a banned Kurdish rebel group fighting for autonomy in Turkey.
The Turkish move further complicates the already protracted Syrian civil war. Both Turkey and Kurdish rebels are US allies.
- Masoumeh Ebtekar: Iran's vice president infected by coronavirus11:54 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Hadi Khosrowshahi: Iran's ex-ambassador to Vatican dies of coronavirus11:47 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Coronavirus: Pakistan's Aviation division establishes emergency ...11:36 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Pakistan, Qatar agree to further enhance economic cooperation11:19 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Pink Floyd: PM Imran tweets Roger Waters’ video criticising ...11:10 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- TikTok is cancer, says Feroze Khan03:05 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Celebrities speak out against the brutal treatment of Muslims in Delhi02:41 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- ‘Ehd-e-Wafa’ makers planning to air finale in cinemas02:15 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019