Qatar appoints Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al Thani new Prime Minister
DOHA - Qatar’s ruler on Tuesday accepted the resignation Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al-Thani and named his successor, the state news agency reported.
No reason was given for the change and it is unclear if Sheikh Abdullah remains the interior minister after stepping down as prime minister.
New Prime Minister Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al-Thani previously headed up the office of gas-rich Qatar’s ruler, Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani, according to the government website.
"The emir issued Tuesday the emiri order number two of 2020, appointing His Excellency Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al-Thani as prime minister. The emiri order shall be effective starting from its date of issue," the state-run Qatar News Agency reported.
Sheikh Khalid took the oath of office before the emir, in a ceremony also attended by Deputy Emir Sheikh Abdullah bin Hamad Al Thani, according to Al-Jazeera.
Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al Thani is currently serving as the Chief of the Amiri Diwan since November 2014, according to Qatari media.
Earlier, he served as Director of HH The Amir’s office since HH The Amir assumed the reins of power.
Born in Doha in 1968, Sheikh Khalid received his pre-university schooling in his home country before moving to the United States in 1993 from where he obtained a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration.
At the beginning of his career, he worked at Qatar Liquefied Gas Company Limited, until 2002.
He later served in the Office of the First Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs between 2002 and 2006.
In March 2006, he joined the Amiri Diwan and worked at the Office of HH the Heir Apparent.
He was then appointed as Director of the Office of the Private Secretary of HH the Heir Apparent on July 11, 2006, until he was appointed Director of the Office of HH the Heir Apparent on January 9, 2007.
HE Sheikh Khalid also sits on the board of the Sports and Social Activities Support Fund (Daam).
- Price of High Speed Diesel reduced by Rs 2.40 per liter09:10 AM | 1 Oct, 2020
- Pakistan's nuclear, strategic capability safe and secure: PM Imran08:53 AM | 1 Oct, 2020
- ECC raises electricity prices, gas meter rent11:41 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Mini smart lockdown imposed in parts of Karachi after Covid-19 spike10:44 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- First Pakistan-made bloodless dialysis machine to start functioning ...10:05 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Super well made: Anoushey Ashraf can’t stop praising ...04:35 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- The fault is not in our laws, our mindset needs to change: Mehwish ...02:59 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Rhea Chakraborty 'an active member of a drug syndicate:' NCB02:26 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020