Pakistan, Iran discuss resuming cross-border trade amid COVID-19 pandemic
ISLAMABAD – Prime Minister Imran Khan on Wednesday held phone talks with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani to discuss trade between the two Asian neighbours.
Both leaders expressed interest in resuming cross-border trade halted due to COVID-19, the Iranian Presidency said in a press release.
"We are interested in exchanging goods and trade with Pakistan as well as with some neighboring countries through border markets," Rouhani said, adding that the reopening of border markets of the two countries must be "with full observance of health protocols," as quoted in the press release.
The Iranian president also wished Pakistan a happy holy month of Ramazan.
PM Imran, in turn, welcomed the reopening of public health-friendly cross border markets, saying that "the two countries' trade exchanges will greatly help Pakistan's economy, which has been affected by coronavirus," as quoted in the press release.
According to the statement, Khan also condemned the United States for imposing sanctions on Iran during the turbulent economic situation caused by the coronavirus pandemic and said that he considered it his "duty" to "support Iran in the face of US illegal actions."
Pakistan closed its border with Iran completely on February 23 and then reopened it for trade two weeks later.
- Brace Yourselves for the Live Broadcast Launch of TECNO’s Spark 5 ...01:19 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Sindh launches online education for primary schools amid COVID-1912:29 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- COVID-19: Hafeez urges int'l agencies for evaluating losses to ...11:11 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Protests against racism, police violence sparked in major Australian ...10:02 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Kanye West donates $2 million, establishes college fund for George ...08:24 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Meghan Markle speaks out about ‘Black Lives Matter’07:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Naveed Raza urges people to stop denying the existence of coronavirus06:51 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020