Pakistani man gets top post in New York police’s volunteer force
NEW YORK - A Pakistani-American police officer has been picked to head the New York Police Department’s volunteer force, and he immediately dedicated this singular achievement to his motherland– Pakistan.
Nasir Saleem, a 30-year veteran of New York police, became the first Pakistani and a Muslim to be appointed as Auxiliary Deputy Chief of the nearly 5,000-strong force which serves in the city’s neigbourhoods as the “eyes and ears” of the regular police through foot, vehicle, and bicycle patrols.
“It’s a great honour … I am speechless,” Saleem said in an emotionally charged voice. “I dedicate my new title to Pakistan,” he told reporters after taking the oath of office as the Auxiliary Deputy Chief on Tuesday.
Auxiliary Police officers are trained to observe and report conditions requiring the services of the regular police assisting in non-enforcement and non-hazardous duties.
Saleem was inducted into his new assignment at a simple ceremony at which senior police officials and members of the Pakistani community were presented.
Badges were pinned on his uniform by Captain Adeel Rana and Lt. Zaigham Abbas, fellow Pakistani-American police officers.
- Conflict between PPP and Cynthia Ritchie intensifies after denial of ...08:22 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PML-N’s Khawaja Salman Rafique contracts coronavirus08:11 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- What Nawaz Sharif's doing in his latest picture from London07:37 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PIA directed to control fares after overcharging complaints07:13 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PTI MNA tests positive for coronavirus as health crisis deepens in ...06:35 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Zaheer Abbas looks like Money Heist‘s 'Professor’, says Mehwish ...02:24 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Pakistani celebrities who never endorsed fairness products01:50 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Kanye West donates $2 million, establishes college fund for George ...08:24 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020