US withdraws tax exemption for Pakistani diplomats
Tax exemption privileges for foreign diplomats are generally given based on past international treaties, but the US State Department said those privileges depend on reciprocity with other countries.
The program gives tax breaks for things like sales, hotel, food, airlines, gasoline and utility to eligible foreign diplomats designated to work in the United States. The said facility is enjoyed by officials' dependents too, reports The News International.
The decision to withdraw special Tax Exemption cards issued to Pakistani officials was made on May 15, after which the effected staffers had to surrender the privilege.
The State Department said it hopes to resolve issues so the tax privileges can be restored. It made the decision earlier this month, which affects about 20 employees in the Pakistani Embassy.
"There are thus ongoing discussions between Pakistan and the U.S. on the status of exemption/refunds on the basis of the principle of reciprocity, which should not be construed as withdrawal of any privileges," the Pakistani embassy said in a statement.
Qureshi rejects reports of visa restrictions on ... 10:12 PM | 14 May, 2019
ISLAMABAD/WASHINGTON – The United States will deport over 70 "illegal" Pakistani nationals and a special chartered ...
Trump accused the country last year of "lies and deceit" in giving safe haven to terrorists, and threatened to cut aid.
- OIC resolution calls upon Israel to stop rights violations, terrorism ...09:52 PM | 16 May, 2021
- PIA plane carrying 1 million doses of Sinovac vaccine lands in ...08:49 PM | 16 May, 2021
- Biden phones Netanyahu, Abbas as death toll in Israeli airstrikes on ...07:54 PM | 16 May, 2021
- Cyclone Tauktae – Heavy rains kill 4, affect over 42,000 in Sri ...06:14 PM | 16 May, 2021
- US forces leave key Afghanistan military base05:22 PM | 16 May, 2021
- ‘New beginnings’ – Ghana Ali all set to tie the knot01:19 PM | 16 May, 2021
- MD Glam on why women should say no to skincare products made from ...10:01 AM | 16 May, 2021
- Ayeza Khan celebrates 9 million Insta followers in style10:06 PM | 15 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021