BAHAWALPUR – A historic fountain gifted to the late Nawab of former Bahawalpur State, Muhammad Sadiq Khan Abbasi, by British Queen Victoria has been restored to the original shape in Bahawalpur.
The fountain was brought to Karachi via ship and to the then Bahawalpur State through road in 1880. The fountain stands ten feet tall.
It was fixed at the residential palace, Sadiq Garh Palace, of Late Nawab of Bahawalpur, Muhammad Sadiq Khan Abbasi, but later, on the desire of Nawab Sadiq, it was shifted to the Central Chowk of Bahawalpur.
The site is today known as Fawara Chowk -the Fountain Square. The fountain has been restored at the same location, along with the addition of electric bulbs and LED lights.
The fountain is a precious heritage and with the restoration of the fountain in its original form, it’s artistic and majestic grandeur and construction have been preserved for the future generations.
The spectacular sight of the fountain at night: