BERLIN – Germany has temporarily suspended deportation flights to Afghanistan following an explosion that killed at least 80 people and injured more than 350 in the Afghan capital Kabul, according to the Independent.
Article continues after the advertisement
There would be no collective deportations to Afghanistan in the next few days, confirmed a German official adding the policy of deporting Afghan migrants who do not qualify as refugees still remains.
The official said: “The employees [at the embassy in Kabul] have more important things to do than to prepare the organisational measures needed. Therefore there will be no collective deportations to Afghanistan in the next few days, according to the Independent.
“But it is and remains the case that deportations must be carried out according to our laws. This principle applies to Afghanistan, especially for criminals, and we will continue to go down this path.”
Germany started deporting Afghanis in December as it started tackling the high number of migrants by removing those who do not qualify as refugees.
As many as 80 people were killed while over 300 were left injured when a massive blast went off in the heart of Kabul’s diplomatic district on Wednesday, according to Afghan health ministry.
The blast was so severe that it smashed windows of nearby buildings, sending clouds of black smoke spiralling over the Afghan capital.
Najib Danish, an interior ministry spokesperson, said initial findings showed it had been a truck bomb.