SC moved to initiate contempt proceedings against Imran Khan for statement about Justice Khosa
Senator Mohammad Ali Saif of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement filed the petition on Monday alleging that Mr Khan had in his interview said that during the course of their agitation against Nawaz Sharif and his government in the wake of the Panama Papers leaks, he had been asked by the SC judge to approach him against the government. It said the PTI chief had repeated the same allegation while addressing a public gathering in Islamabad on July 30.
'Justice Asif Saeed Khosa asked me to approach SC ... 03:45 PM | 30 Jul, 2017
ISLAMABAD - Days after the Supreme Court sent Nawaz Sharif packing for not being honest to the nation, Pakistan ...
"Mr Khan’s statements in the interview as well as at the public gathering on Sunday were an attempt to malign, scandalise and tarnish the image, integrity and reputation of the judiciary in general and the judges in particular," the petition argued.
It said the grave act of Mr Khan had endangered the integrity of the Supreme Court and, therefore, he should be proceeded against under Article 204 of the Constitution dealing with contempt of court.
Barrister Saif named Imran Khan, Pakistan Electronic Regulatory Authority chairman Absar Alam and ARY Digital chairman Salman Iqbal as respondents in the petition.
’مجھ سے اس بینچ کے ایک جج نے درخواست کی تھی کہ آپ عدالت میں کیس لائیں اور ۔ ۔ ۔‘ pic.twitter.com/KQru0xiduQ— Daily Pakistan (@DailyPakistan) July 30, 2017
Meanwhile, in a Twitter message on Sunday, Mr Khan clarified that during the interview he was referring to the comments of Justice Asif Saeed Khosa who, during the proceedings in the open court, had stated that the SC was a supreme forum to resolve conflicts.
A deliberate attempt is being made to distort what I said in an interview. I was referring to the comments below of Justice Asif Khosa pic.twitter.com/ZzL1hnHUuS— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) July 30, 2017
- Pakistan's FM Qureshi congratulates Turkish counterpart for ...07:04 PM | 20 Jun, 2021
- Punjab top cop vows to treat Mufti Aziz ur Rehman as a test case04:41 PM | 20 Jun, 2021
- Triple crowns for Amna Qayum in 2nd PTF Junior National Ranking ...04:08 PM | 20 Jun, 2021
- Ertugrul’s Turgut Alp, Bamsı Beyrek made brand ambassadors for ...02:17 PM | 20 Jun, 2021
- Mahira Khan spends quality time with beau Salim Karim in Nathia Gali01:41 PM | 20 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021