Marriott’s data breach compromises 500m guests’ personal information
in at least three states including, New York, where Attorney General Barbara Underwood said on Twitter that "New Yorkers deserve to know that their personal information will be protected."
Marriott said it was alerted on September 8 that there had been an attempt to hack their reservation database in the United States. A subsequent probe concluded on November 19 "that there had been unauthorized access to the Starwood network since 2014" which compromised personal and financial information.
"We deeply regret this incident happened," Marriott chief Arne Sorenson said in a statement. "We
fell short of what our guests deserve and what we expect of ourselves."
The investigation determined that for about 327 million guests, the hacked information included items such as names, addresses, passport numbers and dates of birth. Marriott also could not rule out that hackers were also able to access some encrypted credit card information.
For the other guests, the information was limited to names and sometimes other data such as
mailing and email addresses or other information, the company said.
- India refuses visas to Pakistan blind cricket team for T20 World Cup12:45 AM | 7 Dec, 2022
- Cristiano Ronaldo will not start for Portugal in match against ...12:25 AM | 7 Dec, 2022
- Achraf Hakimi helps Morocco knock Spain out of World Cup on penalties12:02 AM | 7 Dec, 2022
- Pakistan to hold next general election in October 2023 after digital ...11:28 PM | 6 Dec, 2022
- 'Ghani Syaani' – Twitter goes gaga over Shehnaaz Gill and MC ...10:51 PM | 6 Dec, 2022
- The Legend of Maula Jatt now available for movie lovers in England10:28 PM | 6 Dec, 2022
- Bohemia beats Aima Baig in Go-karting08:51 PM | 6 Dec, 2022
- Man who stole Lady Gaga's dogs sentenced to 21 years in prison09:14 PM | 6 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022