PIA workers on full strike after PM Nawaz bans union activity
While PIA Joint Action Committee announced shutting down all kind of operations across the country, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif enforced the Essential Service Act for six months - a move which bars protesting members of the Pakistan International Airlines from participating in any union activity.
The aviation division had sent a summary to the prime minister which was approved on Monday.
According to the new act, all PIA unions stand dissolved with immediate effect.
The government move prompted the PIA employees announcing shutting down operations.
Soon after the PM's decision to enforce the Essential Services Act was announced, Chief of Joint Action Committee of PIA's protesting employees Capt Sohail Baloch told journalists that the body will go ahead with the strike they had announced earlier.
"We are going to go ahead with our plan. I don't know what the restrictions are... but if there are any restrictions we are ready to face them, even if we are baton-charged," he said.
He said the organisation was ready for negotiations but it was unbelievable that the government promulgated the Mandatory Services Act despite PIA employees’ ongoing protest.
“Rest assured we will not fly from tomorrow 7pm. There is no way we are going to let the government privatise the PIA,” he told the media.
“Our sit-in will continue as per schedule. However, we are open to talks,” he added. “We are also ready if government resorts to baton-charge.”
The PIA employees kept the administration offices closed against a bill that recently sailed through the National Assembly, converting the airlines into a public limited company.
Meanwhile, the PIA management has asked the employees to call off their protest and resume duty and said that because of workers’ strike for six days the organisation had incurred a loss of Rs600 million.
- Modern Day Education Providers: STEP Schools - A PGC Project03:56 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- PLTA Independence Day Punjab Junior Tennis Championship finals today03:40 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- Iraqi actress to sue fat-shaming British newspaper03:21 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- Independence Day - Pakistan announces prestigious civil award for ...02:45 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- Independence Day – First teaser of re-recorded Pakistan’s ...02:14 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- ‘Vampire jelly mask’ – Hira Mani reveals secret of her glowing ...12:11 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- Late Pakistani pop icon Nazia Hassan to be featured on New York's ...09:47 AM | 13 Aug, 2022
- Hania Aamir's latest video breaks the internet07:50 PM | 12 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022