Pakistan 'closely monitoring' developments in Myanmar after military coup
ISLAMABAD – Pakistan has hoped that all parties in Myanmar will exercise restraint, uphold the rule of law, engage constructively and work towards a peaceful outcome.
Commenting on the military coup in Myanmar, Foreign Office Spokesperson Zahid Hafeez Chaudhri said they are closely following the developments there.
The Myanmar army toppled the elected government early on the morning of February 1st after detaining de-facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi and other politicians.
The army declared a year-long state of emergency and handed power to the commander-in-chief, Min Aung Hlaing. Soldiers have been deployed to the streets of the capital, Naypyidaw, and the largest city, Yangon, where they have erected blockades on major roads.
Top UN court orders Myanmar to prevent Rohingya ... 07:22 PM | 23 Jan, 2020
THE HAGUE – The UN's highest court ordered Myanmar on Thursday to do everything in its ...
The military said that it launched coup just in response to “election fraud” and handed over power to military chief Min Aung Hlaing and declared a state of emergency for one year, according to a statement on a military-owned television station.
Following the military coup on Monday morning, all the telephone lines to capital Naypitaw and main commercial centre of Yangon were not reachable, and state tv was also seized just hours before parliament had been due to sit for the first time since the NLD’s landslide election win in November.
Banks have temporarily halted all financial services, according to the Myanmar Banks Association.
The coup comes after tensions rose between the civilian government and the military following a disputed election.
Myanmar, also known as Burma, was ruled by the military until democratic reforms began in 2011.
In November's election, Ms Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy (NLD) won enough seats to form a government.
Britain, the United States and other countries have condemned the coup.
Myanmar coup: Aung San Suu Kyi arrested as ... 01:00 PM | 1 Feb, 2021
NAYPYITAW – The Myanmar army toppled the elected government early on the morning of February 1st after detaining ...
- TikTok removes 113 million videos to protect minors on the platform11:42 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Babar Azam equals Virat Kohli's record in T20Is11:21 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- PAKvENG: England win 6th T20I against Pakistan by 8 wickets11:01 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Justice Faez Isa asks CJP to call Judicial Commission meeting, fill ...10:31 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- 'First-ever Indian singer to have his own private island with a lake, ...10:14 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Saim Sadiq's Joyland nominated for Oscars by Pakistani Academy ...08:09 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic breaks the internet with new photos05:44 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022