TTP claims responsibility for killing MPA Rana Shamshad in Gujranwala
Taliban spokesman Mohammad Khorasani told DawnNews that the attack on the legislator was carried out by militants belonging to the proscribed group.
However, the banned group did not disclose why they killed provincial legislator.
The Punjab legislator was on his way home from his farmhouse in Kot Raja— accompanied by his son, nephew and a party worker— when armed assailants, reportedly on board a black car, opened heavy fire at the MPA's vehicle.
Eye witnesses said the attackers had covered their faces with cloth and fled the scene right after the attack. Police reached the site of the incident immediately and transferred all four injured to the nearest district hospital.
Police sources said Shamshad and his son, Ahmed, were pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital.
Chaudhary Shamshad was elected to the Punjab Assembly from Gujranwala's constituency PP-100 on a Pakistan Muslim League - Nawaz (PML-N) ticket. He had served as the provincial transport minister during PML-Q's government in Punjab.
- Kazakhstan ambassador meets COAS Bajwa, hails Pakistan’s role in ...09:22 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan, Oman naval chiefs discuss ways to boost defence ties08:47 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- ‘No need of foreign labour,’ Afghan Taliban turn down ...08:22 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Gobi's Paints 3rd U19 Junior Polo Championship: BX Polo win opener07:54 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Ayesha Omar spotted enjoying vacations in Dubai04:53 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Areeba Habib and husband Saadain spotted dancing at a friend's wedding04:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021