India help Pakistan grab top spot in ICC T20I rankings
Pakistan overtook New Zealand in the shortest format with 124 points on Wednesday, following a 3-0 win in their series against Sri Lanka, which culminated in Lahore on Sunday, according to MRF Tyres ICC T20I rankings.
Owing to their loss in the opening T20I against Virat Kohli's troops, New Zealand have lost as many as four rating points to slip to 121. Having amassed 124 rating points on the back of their recent consistency, Sarfraz Ahmed's team put themselves in a position to overtake the Kiwis to reach the top of the table.
Meanwhile, India have gained two rating points and are now breathing down the back of fourth-ranked England.
Pakistan’s Shoaib Malik also moved up three places to 26th in the batsmen rankings.
South Africa spinner Aaron Phangiso (up 19 places to 47th) has also made significant gains while Pakistan bowlers Shadab Khan (up 21 places to 40th), Mohammad Amir (up 21 places to 49th) and Hasan Ali (up 10 places to 63rd) have also climbed up.
After conquering West Indies 3-1 in the Caribbean earlier this year, Pakistan defeated a team representing World XI in the euphoric series on home soil. However, the 2-1 triumph against the Faf du Plessis-led side did not give them any points on the table. The 3-0 clean sweep of Sri Lanka in the split series in UAE and Lahore paved the way for Sarfraz's team to march towards the number one spot.
- Strict SOPs issued for Ashura processions, majalis amid COVID ...05:00 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- PCB allows Umar Akmal to resume club cricket from next month02:59 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Alizeh Shah flaunts her killer dance moves in new viral video02:12 PM | 4 Aug, 2021
- Kabul security team gets briefing on alleged abduction of Afghan ...11:34 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021