Man kills two sisters in fresh 'honour killings' in Sahiwal
According to local police, Mohammad Asif had previously murdered his mother four or five years ago, before being pardoned at the time by his family and set free.
Asif, who is in his late twenties, shot his two sisters late last night because he doubted their characters and was against their lifestyle," local police official Allah Ditta Bhatti told AFP.
He said the sisters died on the spot while Asif fled. The incident was confirmed by other officials at the local police station. "We have started investigation and the accused will be arrested very soon", he added.
Hundreds of women are murdered by their relatives in country each year on the pretext of defending family "honour".
Pakistan amended its criminal code in 2005 to prevent men who kill female relatives escaping punishment by pardoning themselves as an "heir" of the victim.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif last week vowed to eradicate the "evil" of honour killings in Pakistan.
- Punjab junior tennis championship inaugurated by Rashid Malik11:11 AM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan remembers Kargil war hero Karnal Sher Khan on 23rd martyrdom ...10:47 AM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Bushra Iqbal shares nostalgic video on late Aamir Liaquat Hussain's ...10:28 AM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s Covid-19 positivity ratio drops to 3.45%09:59 AM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Six killed, 24 injured in shooting during US July 4 parade09:34 AM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Ali Tariq, Alizeh Shah tease fans about upcoming project08:35 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Merub Ali’s cute interaction with Sarah Khan’s daughter wins over ...07:10 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Shehnaaz Gill’s Punjabi version of ‘We Don’t Talk Anymore’ ...07:53 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022