Rio Ferdinand's wife dies from cancer
The QPR defender, 36, released a statement saying his "wonderful wife and soul mate" Rebecca Ellison had "passed away peacefully" at a London hospital.
Ms Ellison, 34, who married Ferdinand in 2009, had breast cancer.
She leaves behind three children, Lorenz, nine, Tate, six, and four-year-old Tia.
In a statement, Ferdinand said she died on Friday night.
"Rebecca, my wonderful wife, passed away peacefully after a short battle with cancer at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London," the footballer said on QPR's website.
"She was a fantastic loving mother to our three beautiful children. She will be missed as a wife, sister, aunt, daughter and granddaughter. She will live on in our memory, as a guide and inspiration.
"Myself, my parents Janice and Julian, along with Rebecca's parents Lesley and Stephen, would like to thank our families, friends and my club colleagues who have rallied around in these desperate days, weeks and months."
Ferdinand thanked the staff who treated his wife at the south London hospital, adding: "I would also like to express my gratitude for the dedication and expertise of the staff led by Professors Johnstone and Clarke at the Royal Marsden.
"Their valiant efforts to prolong Rebecca's all-too-short life will not be forgotten."
Messages of support have been posted on Twitter from the world of football.
Former Manchester United goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel wrote: "Really sad news that Rebecca Ellison, the wife of Rio Ferdinand has passed away. My condolences to Rio, their children and the family. RIP"
BBC presenter and former England captain Gary Lineker tweeted: "Thoughts are with Rio Ferdinand and his family. How dreadfully sad."
QPR's players will be wearing a black armband for the match against Liverpool at Anfield later.
In a statement, the west London club said: "The thoughts of everyone at Queens Park Rangers Football Club are with Rio and his family at this immensely difficult time."
Ferdinand, who grew up in Peckham, south-east London, was capped by England 81 times and has also played for West Ham United and Leeds United.
- Five dead in second deadly bombing in Jalalabad in two days11:02 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Sindh govt to arrest unvaccinated people in line with NCOC orders10:17 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Navjot Sidhu in race for Indian Punjab CM after Amarinder Singh's ...07:37 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- UNGA session: PM Imran to address the world's biggest diplomatic ...07:10 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Pakistan calls up players for National T20 after New Zealand ...06:44 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Katrina Kaif’s new workout video goes viral04:32 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Saeeda Imtiaz’s new bold photos draw severe public criticism03:03 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Alizeh Shah’s new bold look goes viral02:30 PM | 19 Sep, 2021