Supreme Court takes notice of target killings of Hazaras
The top judge directed all law enforcement agencies, including police, Levies Forces, to present detailed reports on the sectarian violence, saying the people of the Hazar community were not filing a case in the court due to fear. A report has also been summoned from Ministry of Interior.
What the government has done for the Hazara community, the chief justice questioned, adding that children of this group could not even go to school, colleges hospitals.
"Are they not citizens of Pakistan," he observed.
The apex court will take up the case on May 11, the chief justice said.
The judicial action has been taken by the court after the leaders and supporters of the community staged protest and hunger strike against the killing of their people in Quetta before the press club.
A Quetta-based young woman lawyer and human rights activist, Jalila Haidar, started a hunger strike on Friday outside the city’s press club, demanding end to killing of Hazara community people.
She was approached by political leaders, including Balochistan Chief Minister Mir Abdul Quddus Bizenjo and Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal, but she refused to end the strike until they were not assured by the army chief.
Hazara leaders end protest after COAS Bajwa's ... 08:37 AM | 2 May, 2018
QUETTA - After holding a meeting with Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa Tuesday night, the leaders ...
The five-days long strike was called of by the leaders of the Hazara community on Tuesday night after a meeting with Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa.
The leaders of the protesting community shared concerns about target killing of their people, to which, the army chief shared their grief and offered fatiha for the departed souls.
Bajwa said that while nothing can compensate the loss of dear ones, he assured Hazara community brethren that those who have targeted them shall suffer twice as much, a press release of military’s media wing said.
He said that state was responsible for security of its citizens and all state institutions were concerned for this.
“Each and every casualty including from Hazara community is of concern to us and our brave security forces are performing their best and willingly offering monumental sacrifices to bring lasting peace to the country,” he said.
“During 2018 alone, so far 37 security forces personnel have laid their lives in Quetta. Through a unified national effort, we have turned the tide of terrorism, however a lot is still being done against inimical designs to reverse the gains by exploiting various fault lines”.
The security forces have busted many terrorists’ networks, he said, adding: “We know how these networks are being supported by hostile agencies”.
“We are Muslim first and then anything else. Every Pakistani irrespective of religion, sect, language or caste has to stay steadfast and united to defeat hostile forces trying to create divisions,” he added.
Chief of Army Staff further said, “We shall defeat hostile attempts through national cohesion. Anything and everything which is for the betterment of security of people of Pakistan shall be done”.
“I expect the youth to stay focused on their positive endeavors towards self and nation building. Trust and assist state in taking Pakistan forward to its rightful destination”, Chief of Army Staff said.
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:52 AM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan reports lowest daily COVID-19 cases since March08:50 AM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 19 June 202108:27 AM | 19 Jun, 2021
- ‘Flying Sikh’ Milkha Singh dies at 91 from Covid-19 complications01:25 AM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Indian villagers set up 'Corona Mata' temple to ward off deadly virus01:08 AM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Bollywood diva Anushka Sharma spotted enjoying English summer05:55 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Lovebirds Nimra and Asad give major holiday goals with latest clicks03:13 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Take a tour of Meesha Shafi's Canadian bungaloft04:36 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021