Pakistan loses £35m Hyderabad Fund case in UK court
ISLAMABAD - A high court in the United Kingdom ruled against Pakistan on Wednesday in the Hyderabad Fund case.
The court has now ruled in favour of the heirs of the Nizam, stating that “there is no illegality alleged that is sufficient to cause this Court to prevent the Princes and India – specifically, India – from asserting her claim to the Fund.”
"Even if the question of illegality were relevant to India’s claims, the Settlement between the Princes and India has rendered the issue irrelevant because the rival claims to the Fund of the Princes and India have validly been compromised, such that the question of illegality is no longer before the Court," read the verdict issued on Wednesday.
Pakistan 's Foreign Office said the ruling by United Kingdom High Court on the Hyderabad Fund case ignored the historical context of transfer as India illegally annexed the city in violation of international law.
"The ruling does not take into account the historical context of the transfer when India illegally annexed Hyderabad in violation of International Law and all civilized norms, leading the Nizam of Hyderabad to make desperate efforts to defend his people and the state from Indian invasion," a Foreign Office statement said.
The FO statement came in response to a ruling by the United Kingdom High Court on fund being held by the National Westminster Bank in London.
The Foreign Office said the judgment rejected the longstanding claims of the two major parties and upheld the claims of the heirs of Nizam of Hyderabad.
"The Nizam also raised the matter with the UN Security Council where the
issue remains on the agenda to date. The Nizam as a sovereign, approached
- Govt to spend more than Rs30b on higher education this year, says ...11:57 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Youth-led projects showcased in Student Leaders Conference08:41 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Infinix, CarlCare join hands with M&P to provide unmatched after-sale ...08:26 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- PSL Draft 2020: Franchises pick players from platinum, diamond, gold ...08:06 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Justice (retd) Altaf Ibrahim takes oath as acting ECP chief06:15 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Mehwish Hayat says Pervez Musharraf deserves a chance to be heard02:30 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Kate Middleton thanks Maheen Khan with sweet note02:06 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Humayun Saeed shares an all smile picture with brothers01:39 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019