Record breaking rain kills 6 in Lahore, brings city to stand still
The city is also observing a blackout as over 150 electricity feeders tripped due to the rain. It has been observed that the city received a record 252 millimetres rain in a short span of time, breaking the record of past 38 years.
In 1980, Lahore had received heavy downpour, receiving 207 millimetres rain but the Water and Sanitation Authority (WASA) has confirmed Tuesday's downpour as the recording breaking for the metropolis.
The major roads have turned into pools as the stormwater drains are blocked, creating hurdles for commuters. A big sinkhole opened up on the Mall Road in Lahore.
Niagara Falls in Lahore (GPO Mall Road)
So called Paris of Showbaz Sharif pic.twitter.com/DQHDm6xB3P
— вєıηg вıłαł ツ (@BeingBilal713) July 3, 2018
Due to the rain, two people named Amanat and Shazaib were electrocuted in Rewaz Garden while a third person identified as Akber was electrocuted near Qurtaba Chowk.
Rescue officials said that two people were killed as the roof of their warehouse collapsed in Gumti bazaar due to the heavy downpour. Another person lost his life after being electrocuted in China Scheme area of Gujar Pura.
A warning was also given out for Lahore airport due to the weather conditions, stating that routine flight operations may be affected.
The situation prompted a storm on social media against the caretaker setup which was doing nothing to help people in such conditions, as the roads can be seen flooded with water everywhere in the city of Lahore.
The developed countries of the world like America, Japan and China too faced such problems after heavy rains in their regions, but they knew how to solve this issue, said people.
It's been reported that the former Chief Minister of Punjab Shehbaz Sharif would head the meetings himself in such disastrous conditions in his tenure as chief administrator.
No such action was taken this time by the administration, as no one knew what to do in such circumstances and the situation of the city was in front of our eyes.
The masses are calling for Shehbaz speed to handle this mismanagement in the beautiful city of Lahore.
- PIA directed to control fares after overcharging complaints07:13 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PTI MNA tests positive for coronavirus as health crisis deepens in ...06:35 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Huawei Nova 7i – The hottest selling secret weapon of mobile gamers06:05 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Sri Lanka to reopen for tourism in August, with strict coronavirus ...05:27 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- COVID-19: NDMA delivers 286 ventilators to federating units04:42 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Pakistani celebrities who never endorsed fairness products01:50 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Kanye West donates $2 million, establishes college fund for George ...08:24 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Meghan Markle speaks out about ‘Black Lives Matter’07:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020