Trump to hold first-ever Iftar dinner after skipping tradition last year
The tycoon-turned-president is restoring a tradition of the previous US regimes that he had abandoned during his first year in Oval office.
Each of former presidents Barack Obama, George W Bush and Bill Clinton held Iftar dinners during their presidencies, however, Trump did not uphold the tradition in 2017, at a time when he was intensifying anti-Muslim legislation.
The tradition of hosting a White House Iftar dates back to at least December 1805 when former President Thomas Jefferson hosted Tunisian ambassador Sidi Soliman Mellimelli.
However, Trump broke the centuries-old tradition in June last year and simply issued a statement.
"Muslims in the United States joined those around the world during the holy month of Ramadan to focus on acts of faith and charity," the statement read.
"Our Constitution ensures Muslims can observe Ramadan in accordance with the dictates of conscience and unimpeded by government. By doing so, the Constitution also furnishes varied opportunities for all Americans to deepen their understanding of the human soul," it added
"As so many people unite to celebrate Ramadan, Melania and I join in the hope for a blessed month. Ramadan Mubarak," the statement added.
- ‘President grossly failed to exercise his discretion,’ remarks SC ...07:04 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- US suspends visa services in Turkey over reports of potential terror ...05:58 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Police arrested man posturing as fake Pakistan Army Captain04:47 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- 37th Millat Tractors Governors Cup Golf commences today04:20 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- IN PICTURES: 5 of the most expensive Pakistani weddings of all times03:33 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- 5 fall wardrobe essentials every woman needs02:00 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Unfinished: Priyanka Chopra completes her memoir11:22 AM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Turkish Airlines fined for violating SOPs in Pakistan02:42 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- PDM rally venue changed in Quetta over security threats02:05 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Five killed as bus catches fire near Khuzdar12:07 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- PML-N leader’s secret meeting upsets Nawaz11:45 AM | 23 Oct, 2020