Trump to hold first-ever Iftar dinner after skipping tradition last year
The tycoon-turned-president is restoring a tradition of the previous US regimes that he had abandoned during his first year in Oval office.
Each of former presidents Barack Obama, George W Bush and Bill Clinton held Iftar dinners during their presidencies, however, Trump did not uphold the tradition in 2017, at a time when he was intensifying anti-Muslim legislation.
The tradition of hosting a White House Iftar dates back to at least December 1805 when former President Thomas Jefferson hosted Tunisian ambassador Sidi Soliman Mellimelli.
However, Trump broke the centuries-old tradition in June last year and simply issued a statement.
"Muslims in the United States joined those around the world during the holy month of Ramadan to focus on acts of faith and charity," the statement read.
"Our Constitution ensures Muslims can observe Ramadan in accordance with the dictates of conscience and unimpeded by government. By doing so, the Constitution also furnishes varied opportunities for all Americans to deepen their understanding of the human soul," it added
"As so many people unite to celebrate Ramadan, Melania and I join in the hope for a blessed month. Ramadan Mubarak," the statement added.
- ‘Essentials of Modern/New Marketing’ book by Kotler Impact Inc. ...11:12 PM | 25 Sep, 2020
- TikTok star Marvi Chaudhry booked in Islamabad man’s murder case10:50 PM | 25 Sep, 2020
- UN speech — PM Imran cautions world against rising tide of ...09:27 PM | 25 Sep, 2020
- PM Imran reaffirms Pakistan’s unwavering support to Afghan peace ...08:58 PM | 25 Sep, 2020
- Faisal Iqbal cleared to rejoin Balochistan cricket team08:20 PM | 25 Sep, 2020
- Pakistani celebrities offer their respects to Dean Jones04:27 PM | 25 Sep, 2020
- Nimra Ali: Pakistan's new social media sensation04:08 PM | 25 Sep, 2020
- Demi Lovato and Max Ehrich break up 2 months after engagement11:33 AM | 25 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020