Pakistan, Turkey likely to sign FTA soon: President Alvi
“During my recent visit to Istanbul, I talked to Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan on the FTA. Seven meetings had been held in the past, but the FTA could not be finalised because of certain concerns shown by Turkey. Now, these hindrances will be removed and the FTA will be finalised soon,” he added.
The president was speaking at the launching ceremony of 16th International “My Karachi: Oasis of Harmony” exhibition-2019 at a hotel here. The 3-day international trade event will start from April 5, 2019.
The Karachi Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KCCI) has been organizing the international exhibition every year since 2004 to project Pakistan’s soft image and potential before the world; especially the West where negative propaganda about the country was at its peak.
The president said his Turkish counterpart agreed that more serious and concrete steps were needed to be taken for increasing bilateral trade, which had decreased to $600 million from $1billion per year.
Four Turkish companies, he said, were ready to bring $1.5 billion investment to Pakistan. However, there were certain issues which needed to be addressed before their arrival, he added. Albania, who is a member of European Union, also expressed deep interest in Pakistan’s goods trade to European countries through Albania after some value-addition there.
Dr Alvi assured that the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf leadership would honour its promises and commitments which it made with the trade and industrial community before the general election. Besides better law and order, the government was going to take important and long-lasting measures to bring down the cost of doing and ensure ease of doing business.
“At least, I shall fulfill my promises and will make every effort in this regard,” he said.
- Pakistan condemns assassination of Afghan women judges in Kabul12:00 AM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Wandering snow leopard killed after attacking man in Abbottabad10:36 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Goswami whatsapp leaks exposes "unholy nexus between Hindutva regime ...08:42 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Intrigue Grows as Celebrities and Influencers Upload Pictures with ...03:45 PM | 15 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021