Prime Minister honors the oft-overlooked Pakistani hero and Nobel prize winner, Dr Abdus Salam
ISLAMABAD - Honoring the services of overlooked Pakistani hero and Nobel laureate, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has approved renaming National Centre for Physics at Quaid-i-Azam University as 'Professor Abdus Salam Center for Physics'.
The PM has directed Ministry of Federal Education and Professional to put up a formal summary in this regard for further approval by the President of Pakistan Mamnoon Hussain.
Apart from renaming, the Premier has also given go ahead for granting five (5) fellowships annually to Pakistani students for PhD in the field of Physics through Higher Education Commission in reputed international universities.
The fellowship program is named as 'Professor Abdus Salam Fellowship'.
The PM has taken this decision in recognition of the great contributions of renowned Pakistani physicist Dr Mohammad Abdus Salam who is a major stalwart in the 20th-century theoretical physics and also shared the 1979 Nobel Prize in Physics.
Dr. Abdus Salam was the first Pakistani to receive a Nobel Prize in science and the second from an Islamic country to receive any Nobel Prize. His remarkable achievement earned fame and prestige for the country which rightly deserves to be valued.
He was not only a creme de le creme Physicist but he also served the country as a top level science advisor to the Government of Pakistan from 1960 to 1974during which he utilized his skills to revamp the infrastructure of science in the country.
In 1998, following the country's nuclear tests, the Government of Pakistan under the premiership of Nawaz Sharif issued a commemorative stamp, as a part of "Scientists of Pakistan", to laud the matchless services of Dr. Salam.
Renaming the National Centre for Physics as Dr. Adbus Salam’s Centre for Physics would be another step towards honoring the Pakistani scientist who served the country and brought a good name for Pakistan.
- 285 stranded Pakistanis return home in two special flights04:42 PM | 25 May, 2020
- How much does Ahmed Shah earn from Fahad Mustafa’s Jeeto Pakistan?08:41 PM | 23 May, 2020
- Zara Abid presumed dead, not amongst the survivors of PIA plane crash05:13 PM | 23 May, 2020
- Netflix announces Élite season 4 with returning cast members04:07 PM | 23 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020