Oil up as weak dollar offsets supply concerns
At around 0350 GMT, US benchmark West Texas Intermediate for delivery in March was 16 cents, or 0.5 percent, higher at $31.88, while Brent crude for April was 15 cents, or 0.44 percent, higher at $34.61.
Shailaja Nair, from energy information provider Platts in Singapore, told AFP that crude prices have received support from the flagging dollar.
"The dollar will always have an add-on effect on crude oil prices... The volatility in the dollar and the volatility in crude have been like a constant for the past two to three weeks now," Nair said.
Oil is traded in dollars and a softening of the US currency makes crude cheaper for holders of other units, increasing demand for the commodity.
She added that the upcoming Lunar New Year holiday weekend has also contributed to a lull in the market, but the price rise is unlikely to last should market fundamentals remain the same.
"The demand is not growing... the glut will only go if the production is cut and we have seen no indications of that," Nair said.
Despite speculation of a potential deal by producers to cut output, analysts say that such a deal must involve the market's major players.
"With the absence of large producers like Saudi Arabia and Iran, I don't see much of a point in the other OPEC members trimming output. Any gaps will be quickly filled by other producers to increase market share," Bernard Aw, a market strategist with IG Markets, said in a note.
A price rebound last week driven by talk of possible coordination between Russia and OPEC to slash production petered out after traders brushed aside speculation.
- US train riders ‘held up phones as woman was raped’, could face ...01:45 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Here’s how Pakistan Navy detected and blocked Indian submarine from ...01:20 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Drone flies lungs between two hospitals for transplant patient in ...12:55 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Afghan Taliban start building their own air force12:35 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- T-20 World Cup: Scotland beat Papua New Guinea by 17 runs12:13 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Kumail Nanjiani dressed up in a Pakistani designer at Eternals ...02:00 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Ayeza Khan’s new fashion look gets trolled by netizens05:25 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Alka Yagnik has the sweetest birthday wish for Imran Abbas05:10 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021