‘Now waiting for a rival’: 105-year-old Frenchman sets world record by cycling more than 14 miles in an hour
Marchand set the first hour record in the over-100s category in 2012, then beat it himself two years later at the age of 102, when he covered more than 16 miles.
“I did not see the sign warning me I had 10 minutes left,” said Marchand. “Otherwise I would have gone faster, I would have posted a better time. I’m now waiting for a rival.”
Marchand was born in Amiens, near the frontline of the First World War, three years before its outbreak. He worked as a firefighter in later life, before going to live in Venezuela and Canada.
Back in France in the 1960s, Marchand made a living through various jobs that left him with no time to practise sports. He was 68 when he began a series of cycling feats.
At 105, Marchand is not making plans for the future. His coach, Gerard Mistler, would not be surprised to see him back on the boards, though.
"Setting goals for himself is part of his personality," Mistler said. "If he tells me he wants to improve his record, I'll be game. Robert is a great example for all of us."
Source: The Guardian
- Gold price jumps Rs700 per tola in Pakistan10:22 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan revises up 2020-21 economic growth rate at 5.37%09:50 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- U19 World Cup: Pakistan set 240-run target for Afghanistan08:46 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- ‘Bismillah’ – Sharmila Faruqui files cybercrime complaint ...06:49 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- 'Kana Yaari' – Coke Studio's hijabi rapper Eva B wins hearts07:31 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021