After IOC, United World Wrestling suspends all ties with India
The mandate was issued by the UWW in accordance with the IOC’s censure on India for denying visas to Pakistani athletes for the ISSF World Cup held New Delhi last month. The IOC had suspended discussions with India for hosting future global events.
In a letter to all national federations, the UWW highlighted India’s response was against the central Olympic principle of non-discrimination against any athlete, which was akin to the statement released by the IOC.
“UWW recommends to all the affiliated and associated national wrestling federations to suspended their discussions or relations with the Indian wrestling federation,” the world body wrote in the letter.
WFI president Brij Bhusan Saran Singh said he is yet to see the letter and offered to comment only after he does so.
The first big blow will be the hosting rights of junior Asian Championships which was offered to India by UWW-Asia. The tournament was scheduled to be hosted in Lebanon from July 9-14.
It remains to be seen to what extent the UWW directive would affect Indian wrestlers.
Six Indians had claimed medals at last week’s Dan Kolov-Nikola Petrov international meet in Bulgaria. Bajrang Punia and Pooja Dhanda had won gold, while Sakshi Malik, Vinesh Phogat, Sarita Mor and Sandeep Tomar bagged silver medals.
ISSF World Cup: World Olympics body sanctions ... 05:08 PM | 22 Feb, 2019
NEW DELHI – After licking dust at the international diplomatic level, India has hurt itself even in the sports field ...
Last month, India denied visas to Pakistani shooters for the ISSF World Cup in New Delhi in the wake of the Pulwama terror attack, which killed 40 CRPF personnel. As a result, the IOC revoked the two Olympic quotas on offer in the men’s 25m Rapid Fire Pistol competition of the event.
During the previous Olympic Summit at Lausanne, the IOC had agreed that “the allocation of international sports events to a country must include the necessary guarantees to ensure equal treatment for the participating athletes and sporting delegations, without any form of discrimination or political interference from the host country.”
- LIVE | ‘New day in America’ as Joe Biden and Kamala Harris arrive ...08:59 PM | 20 Jan, 2021
- #HayatBaloch – FC soldier sentenced to death in Karachi student ...08:43 PM | 20 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan announces free COVID vaccine for general public08:16 PM | 20 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan unveils reform package for civil services to uplift ...07:49 PM | 20 Jan, 2021
- Free passport for all Pakistanis soon, announces Sheikh Rasheed07:17 PM | 20 Jan, 2021
- Danish Taimoor pens down a heartfelt note for Ayeza Khan on 30th ...04:51 PM | 20 Jan, 2021
- WATCH - Trailer of Hareem Shah's first web series released02:19 PM | 20 Jan, 2021
- Is Ertugrul famed Esra Bilgic in Peshawar?12:50 PM | 20 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021