FC troops deployed after Rangers withdraw security of parliament
The Rangers took the step two days after Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal lambasted deployment of its troops at an accountability court without the permission of the civil administration, local media reported.
However, the Punjab Rangers’ spokesperson on Wednesday clarified that the Rangers’ Quick Response Force (QRF) is already deployed for the security of Parliament House, and performing its duty as usual.
After their withdrawal, officials of the Islamabad police and Elite force were performing the duties at the parliament.
According to local media, the Rangers in its stance has stated that security would be provided only on the request of Islamabad administration.
On Monday, Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal had threatened to resign after he and senior PML-N leaders, accompanying Nawaz Sharif for the hearing of a corruption reference against the deposed prime minster, were barred from entering the courthouse by Rangers officials.
It was not clear as to who called the Rangers. Just hours after the Interior Minister protested, the Islamabad administration issued a statement, saying that it had not sent for paramilitary forces. The accountability court judge also told reporters that he had not sought the deployment.
Speaking to the media outside the court, Iqbal asked whose orders the Rangers was following, and promised an inquiry into and disciplinary action over the incident. He said that he might resign in protest if he could not hold the institution which works under his ministry accountable.
- Hafeez Shaikh decides to not resign as finance minister after PM ...06:10 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- PTI asks ECP to withhold victory notification of Yousaf Raza Gillani05:45 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- British Pakistani lawyer fights case for 34,000 international ...04:38 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- Hema Malini receives COVID-19 jab04:32 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife wishes to reconcile for their children04:21 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- Pakistan’s first OTT platform UrduFlix is now live03:52 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- Vote of confidence – Pakistani celebs voice support for PM Imran ...02:21 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021