President-elect Alvi resigns from NA seat
Alvi has sent his resignation to the NA secretariat for approval, local media reported. He became the MNA after bagging victory from Karachi’s NA-247 constituency during the July 25 polls.
Dr Arif Alvi has been elected as 13th president of Pakistan after a secret polling in Senate and the newly elected national and provincial assemblies – together known as the electoral college of Pakistan.
Dr Arif Alvi elected 13th President of Pakistan 04:46 PM | 4 Sep, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Dr Arif Alvi has been elected as 13th president of Pakistan after a secret polling in Senate and the newly ...
Alvi, who was nominated by Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), Aitzaz Ahsan of Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), and PML-N backed Maulana Fazlur Rehman were vying for the seat.
“After being elected I consider myself not just to be president for the PTI but for the entire country and other political parties,” Alvi said while speaking to reporters outside parliament.
The 69-year-old bagged 212 votes while Fazl got 131 votes and Aitzaz got 81 votes in National Assembly and Senate. They received 353, 185 and 124 electoral votes respectively.
Chief Election Commissioner Justice Sardar Muhammad Raza acted as returning officer and high court chief justices as presiding officers.
The president-elect is expected to take oath on September 9 after the completion of President Mamnoon Hussain's term a day earlier.
- Biden picks another Pakistani-American for key role02:30 PM | 5 Mar, 2021
- Imad Wasim and wife Sannia welcome a baby girl07:43 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021